Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello and hope someone can help

tag
sphinxpeanut
Established Member

Hello and hope someone can help

I recieved a extremely late alert from Identity Guard, I use them to monitor my credit and personal info, what happen, on 04/05/2013, someone sent in a address change and former name change into Equifax under my social security number.

The alert stated the address change originated to Equifax from this address that was requested to be changed to.

I pulled my 2 credit reports from here, the name change and address had taken effect with Equifax but nothing on Transunion, I still need to pull my Experian report. I initiated a dispute about the name and address to Equifax this morning, there has been no other changes such as a request for credit or anything else I can see.

I have this man name and address, he live in the next town over, about 20 miles away, according to the real estate records, his last name is very similar to mine, it is 1 letter off, I found this info off of a search website and can see his house on google maps.

I gather he was waiting for future credit offers to be forwarded to him via Equifax, this is my thinking anyway, there has been no funny business with my credit cards, I have alerts with all of them, where they would notify me of address change or such. 

What do I do from this point, do I go to the police or hire a lawyer to make inquiries on him, obviously he has the ability to access Equifax to request changes as far as name and address, just kind of amazed by all of this...extremely disappointed with my monitoring service...any help or suggestions would be appreciated

I wanted to update and say this is a false alarm, what has happened, the man who has the same last name as me with 1 letter off, he purchased a car with a loan from Chase Bank, I have a savings account with Chase Bank, this person social security number has the same 4 last digits as my numbers, Chase Bank used my social security number to report his car loan account to Equifax...I just got off the phone with Chase Bank Auto, asked them about this particular loan number, gave them the mans name, his address, my name and address, he was able to verify all of this. This is incredible and what mistakes can be made, I still had to dispute the credit line with Equifax, this was a recommendation from  Chase Bank, I am hoping this all gets resolved quickly and with no aggravation

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Hello and hope someone can help

If it was your SS# used then file a police report just to be safe and get a copy of EX to make sure its clean as well

Best wishes 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.