Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Collections removed, but.....

tag
sgs71
Regular Contributor

Help! Collections removed, but.....

I have had 8 old medical collections on my file for about 2 years (unpaid).  On the 9th, I received a voicemail from the CA to call, attempt to collect a debt, blah blah.  But the same day, the collections were removed from my credit report.  This company has been known to pursue judgements.  My question is, would a CA remove collections if they intended to file a judgement?  The total amout is around $1100.  Just trying to get some insight and opinions.  I actually was going to pay it when income tax comes in, but now I'm afraid to "wake a sleeping dog." Not sure what to do.. Smiley Surprised  TIA

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Help! Collections removed, but.....

I see no connection between reporting of a collection and seeking a civil judgment.

Debt collectors are instructed in their credit reporting agreements with the CRAs to delete their collection if their collection authority is teminated with the debt remaining unpaid.

I would speculate that either the current owner has terminated their assigned collection authority if the debt collector did not own the debt, or the debt collector has sold the debt if they were the owner.  Their contact to collect on the debt may have been their last formal attempt prior to their removal from active collection status.

You might contact the debt collector once you have the $ in your pocket and request their current collection authority....

Message 2 of 6
sgs71
Regular Contributor

Thank you! That makes sense.  I appreciate you taking the time to respond Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

At 8 years (assuming not a judement) in most states the ability of the creditor to secure a judgement is almost  nil. In fact in several states without disclosing it is past the statue date is a violation of Fair Debt Collection Act and you can get money when they contact you.  In certain conditions also calling a cellphone is a big no no.  Reaging accounts is also a big no no. I would not be in any hurry if you live in a 6 year statue state or less (and most are) unless you want to pay out to the godness of your heart but consider they also now you money they that is "current".  Sorry for  the general statements but need more info to point you in correct path.  PS there are a ton of scam ie fake collection calls going out that have some of your information and collect for debt they don't own. Do a Google search for statue of limitations for medical debt in xx state for more info. 

Message 4 of 6
sgs71
Regular Contributor

Backwoods, I apologize. I read my post and see how you misinterpreted it. It is a total of 8 medical collections that are 2 years old, not 8 years old. I am aware of collection scams, I get these calls as well threatening to put me in jail lol. The medical collections are mine and lefgit. I do want to make good on them. Thank you for taking the time to reply with the excellent advice.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thats ok.  Medical can be interesting.  If you are in statue you will have work with them.  If the provider was a not profit. In some states they cannot sue and must take income into account.  But they can still put it on your credit report.  If you can get a loan or high enough c/c limit you may get them to settle try starting at 25% and  stop at 50%.

If the provider knew upfront this was a low or no pay case they will work with you. Also PFD  .  If a JDB bought the debt not just collecting on it they may run into Hippa blocks to get enough information to get a judgement.  Some providers are real easy to work with others want blood out of a turnip and make the IRS look nice. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.