Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Regular Contributor

Help! Collections removed, but.....

I have had 8 old medical collections on my file for about 2 years (unpaid).  On the 9th, I received a voicemail from the CA to call, attempt to collect a debt, blah blah.  But the same day, the collections were removed from my credit report.  This company has been known to pursue judgements.  My question is, would a CA remove collections if they intended to file a judgement?  The total amout is around $1100.  Just trying to get some insight and opinions.  I actually was going to pay it when income tax comes in, but now I'm afraid to "wake a sleeping dog." Not sure what to do.. Smiley Surprised  TIA

Community Leader
Epic Contributor

Re: Help! Collections removed, but.....

I see no connection between reporting of a collection and seeking a civil judgment.

Debt collectors are instructed in their credit reporting agreements with the CRAs to delete their collection if their collection authority is teminated with the debt remaining unpaid.

I would speculate that either the current owner has terminated their assigned collection authority if the debt collector did not own the debt, or the debt collector has sold the debt if they were the owner.  Their contact to collect on the debt may have been their last formal attempt prior to their removal from active collection status.

You might contact the debt collector once you have the $ in your pocket and request their current collection authority....

Regular Contributor

Thank you! That makes sense.  I appreciate you taking the time to respond Smiley Happy

Established Contributor

At 8 years (assuming not a judement) in most states the ability of the creditor to secure a judgement is almost  nil. In fact in several states without disclosing it is past the statue date is a violation of Fair Debt Collection Act and you can get money when they contact you.  In certain conditions also calling a cellphone is a big no no.  Reaging accounts is also a big no no. I would not be in any hurry if you live in a 6 year statue state or less (and most are) unless you want to pay out to the godness of your heart but consider they also now you money they that is "current".  Sorry for  the general statements but need more info to point you in correct path.  PS there are a ton of scam ie fake collection calls going out that have some of your information and collect for debt they don't own. Do a Google search for statue of limitations for medical debt in xx state for more info. 

Regular Contributor

Backwoods, I apologize. I read my post and see how you misinterpreted it. It is a total of 8 medical collections that are 2 years old, not 8 years old. I am aware of collection scams, I get these calls as well threatening to put me in jail lol. The medical collections are mine and lefgit. I do want to make good on them. Thank you for taking the time to reply with the excellent advice.
Established Contributor

Thats ok.  Medical can be interesting.  If you are in statue you will have work with them.  If the provider was a not profit. In some states they cannot sue and must take income into account.  But they can still put it on your credit report.  If you can get a loan or high enough c/c limit you may get them to settle try starting at 25% and  stop at 50%.

If the provider knew upfront this was a low or no pay case they will work with you. Also PFD  .  If a JDB bought the debt not just collecting on it they may run into Hippa blocks to get enough information to get a judgement.  Some providers are real easy to work with others want blood out of a turnip and make the IRS look nice. 

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.