Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help EQ wont Remove Fraudulent Account

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help EQ wont Remove Fraudulent Account

I am having similar issue to yours getting fraudulent account removed from my credit file. I was able to get it removed from TU and EX. Equifax is giving me a hard time. Can you please let me know how you got it resolved.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Help EQ wont Remove Fraudulent Account

Hi there OP and welcome to myFico Smiley Happy

I have created your own thread on this as the one you posted in was several years old. I changed the title and left everything else intact.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I am having similar issue to yours getting fraudulent account removed from my credit file. I was able to get it removed from TU and EX. Equifax is giving me a hard time. Can you please let me know how you got it resolved.

First question - have you followed the instructions outlined in FCRA 605B?

Next question - what are the details of the fraudulent account?

Message 3 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The FCRA details acceptable reasons for a CRA to decline to block under section 605B:

"FCRA 605B(c)        Authority to Decline or Rescind

• (1) In general. A consumer reporting agency may decline to block, or may rescind any block, of information relating to a consumer under this sec-tion, if the consumer reporting agency reasonably determines that

• (A) the information was blocked in error or a block was requested by the consumer in error;

• (B) the information was blocked, or a block was requested by the consumer, on the basis of a material misrepresentation of fact by the consumer relevant to the request to block; or

• (C) the consumer obtained possession of goods, services, or money as a result of the blocked transaction or transactions.

• (2) Notification to consumer. If a block of information is declined or rescinded under this subsection, the affected consumer shall be noti-fied promptly, in the same manner as consumers are notified of the reinsertion of information under section 611(a)(5)(B)."

Thus, as stated by Norman, the issue is one of why they declined.

Message 4 of 5
RonM21
Valued Contributor

What, if anything have they said about why they will not remove it, and is the reason related to any of the above that Robert outlined?

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.