Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(Help) Fraudulent Fingerhut Account

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

(Help) Fraudulent Fingerhut Account

I remember coming across a member here that had the same issue, although I can't remember who it was or what they did to rectify the situation.

My dad received a statement from Fingerhut (abbr. "FH") with a charge for a laptop. He never applied for a FH account. My brother called them to ask about the charges and the new acc. FH said they'll do an investigation. A few days later they send home a letter saying that they've completed their investigation, and that their tracking shows the laptop being delivered to our home. They also said that they will continue to bill my dad for the charges. My dad and my brother filed a police report and have put a fraud alert with all 3 CRA's. My brother just recently filled me in on what's been happening, I had no idea.

Is there anything else that we can do? Has anyone else had this happen to them, and if so, what did you do? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, myFICO-ers!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
silkysean
Regular Contributor

Re: (Help) Fraudulent Fingerhut Account

@Anonymous wrote:

I remember coming across a member here that had the same issue, although I can't remember who it was or what they did to rectify the situation.

My dad received a statement from Fingerhut (abbr. "FH") with a charge for a laptop. He never applied for a FH account. My brother called them to ask about the charges and the new acc. FH said they'll do an investigation. A few days later they send home a letter saying that they've completed their investigation, and that their tracking shows the laptop being delivered to our home. They also said that they will continue to bill my dad for the charges. My dad and my brother filed a police report and have put a fraud alert with all 3 CRA's. My brother just recently filled me in on what's been happening, I had no idea.

Is there anything else that we can do? Has anyone else had this happen to them, and if so, what did you do? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, myFICO-ers!

Sorry this happened I hate finger hut they will give credit to anyone and don't care.They will always claim they have done investigation and verified that charges are valid.You have done the first step and best by putting fraud alert.When happened to me in IL police refuse to issues reports without proof and you get run around.But I told them I'm not paying don't know how you got my info but not valid after my own investigation same name different address and no matching Ss numbers so it couldn't make it to my report.Catch 22 cause when you call to dispute they now have your Valid address and will try to get on your report based off that info.They hope your responsible and will pay just to avoid headache.Thing is it's easy to get on reports but very time consuming and hard to dispute and get off.If a person has never had info stolen they have no clue the battle you must go thru t get removed.I speak from experience and know laws vary from state to state but don't give up keep all proof and time and dates of who you spoke too .Ggod luck and glad you guys caught before it got out of hand like mines

Message 2 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The FCRA identity theft process was enacted to avoid any need for a dispute or any review of the asserted identity theft by anyone, particularly the reporting creditor.

If you file a copy of a police report with the CRA, accompanied by proof of identity and an affidavit attesting that you never authroized the account/transaction, then the CRA is required to block the information from your credit report.  FCRA 605B.

Message 3 of 8
EmmaGolden
Frequent Contributor

I'm sorry for what you & your dad are going through. Thank you for the post, because of you sharing your bad experience I finally decided to close my account & make sure I save documentation of closure. I hope that you get this resolved quickly. 

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone for the response! A couple of follow up questions:

1. Can I demand FH to show me proof of the app? If so, how can I go about verifying my dad's identity to FH without giving them his information to now use, like in Sean's case above?

2. If FH does not cooperate, how can I go about tracking down more info on the FH acc?

3. Robert, thank you for the information. I will follow through with the block. Would the debt still remain if I can sucessfully get it blocked from my dad's reports?

Btw, Sean, I understand what it's like to have to go through the process of having something cleared from your reports. Just a few months ago, some CA claimed that I owed them $15K. It took about a month for me to dispute and clear it, but with persistence I was able to do so.

Once again, thanks to everyone who has responded!

Message 5 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Yes, you can demand records from the creditor.

Another part of the FCRA identity theft process is the right to also send a copy of the police report to the creditor, which requires that they then provide you copies of all business records in their possession related to the opening and use of the account asseted to having resulted from identity theft.

See FCRA 609(e)

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Robert!

I will move forward with all of the advice you have given me, and see where I am when all is done.

Message 7 of 8
torry590
Regular Contributor

If all else fails, and they are being non complaint with FCRA standards you can file a complaint with the CFPB to get them to comply with FCRA standards.  They will respond quickly and get it taken care of, the CFPB levies heavy fines if they don't take care of things accurately and in a timely manor. http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

As of 5/2021 EX8: 616 | TU8: 665 | EQ8: 662
First Premier $700 | Capital One Secured $500 | Discover It $1,000 (formerly secured)
Capital One Quicksilver $400 | Credit One Platinum $300 | Victoria's Secret $200
Express Next $500 | Williams Sonoma Store $400 | Brylane Home $250 | Chime Credit Builder NPSL
Walmart World Mastercard $300 | Aspire Mastercard $500 | Cerulean Mastercard $750
CFNA Bosch Car Care $800 | First Premier no AF $700 | Avant Mastercard $300 no AF
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.