Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help- I'm New!

tag
harleyquinn
Established Member

Help- I'm New!

Hello Everyone,

I am a complete newbie to the aspect of...being responsible for my credit. I used to like to stick my head in the sand. I have decided enough is enough and I am trying to educate myself on my credit.

I have pulled my scores and have discoved my scores as follows:

EXP=633
TU=613
EQ=623

Of course I am trying to figure out how to properly read my scores and understand my report but I noticed something (when I opened the infamous unopened mail) I seem to have a CA after me for a CC I had years ....YEARS ago. This CC is not on my report, I am thinking because it HAS to be over 7 years old. I am thinking it may be as old as 10-12 years old. Can they legally still come after me, or is this where I would write a letter telling them I do not owe this debt and to no longer contact me?

If I no longer see this CC on my report I am assuming that is because it has "dropped off" I just don't want to make the wrong move and "restart the clock"

BTW. be warned you will see a lot of me! I am honestly so overwhelmed I don't even know where to start Smiley Surprised

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help- I'm New!

Hey, I am not sure where you should begin but you came to the right place.  I have only been using this site for a week and the info. I have gotten is really helpful.   Be patient and keep asking the questions.  No question is too silly, these guys are here to help.  Good luck......   ps doesn't it feel good to finally face the music?!

Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello-

The first rule seems to be: Don't call or talk with the CA

The debt may have aged off your CR but you don't know for sure, so...DV the CA. Hopefully you'll find out who the OC was, the date of the debt, and if it really is your debt. Once you have that info you will be in a better position to take the next steps.

Keep reading the forums here, you'll learn a lot.

Good luck

See-

Message Edited by Anderson on 08-08-2007 04:38 PM
Message 3 of 15
harleyquinn
Established Member

Here's the thing. now that I have FINALLY opened my mail...the letters from the two CA are both past the 30 day window to DV the debt. One letter was from April 07 and the other letter was in Feb 07. Should I wait until they send another letter, or try to get them to DV anyway?
Message 4 of 15
fused
Moderator Emeritus

harleyquinn wrote:
Hello Everyone,

I am a complete newbie to the aspect of...being responsible for my credit. I used to like to stick my head in the sand. I have decided enough is enough and I am trying to educate myself on my credit.

I have pulled my scores and have discoved my scores as follows:

EXP=633
TU=613
EQ=623

Of course I am trying to figure out how to properly read my scores and understand my report but I noticed something (when I opened the infamous unopened mail) I seem to have a CA after me for a CC I had years ....YEARS ago. This CC is not on my report, I am thinking because it HAS to be over 7 years old. I am thinking it may be as old as 10-12 years old. Can they legally still come after me, or is this where I would write a letter telling them I do not owe this debt and to no longer contact me?

If I no longer see this CC on my report I am assuming that is because it has "dropped off" I just don't want to make the wrong move and "restart the clock"

BTW. be warned you will see a lot of me! I am honestly so overwhelmed I don't even know where to start Smiley Surprised

For the purposes of determining your SOL (statue of limitations), which state do you live in?
Message 5 of 15
harleyquinn
Established Member

I live in New York....land of flooded subway systems....Smiley Very Happy
Message 6 of 15
fused
Moderator Emeritus

harleyquinn wrote:
I live in New York....land of flooded subway systems....Smiley Very Happy

The SOL in NY is six years. What this means is the CA can try and collect the debt but they cannot sue you. I received a couple letters just like the one you got in my mailbox several months ago. What did I do, I ignored them. I wouldn't worry about it. DO NOT DV the CA, it's too late. If they try and report anything on your CRs let us know and we will help you.
Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fused-
So, you advise this only because the OP has not responded within the allotted 30 days?

fused111 wrote: 
The SOL in NY is six years. What this means is the CA can try and collect the debt but they cannot sue you. I received a couple letters just like the one you got in my mailbox several months ago. What did I do, I ignored them. I wouldn't worry about it. DO NOT DV the CA, it's too late. If they try and report anything on your CRs let us know and we will help you.

Message 8 of 15
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Anderson wrote:
Fused-
So, you advise this only because the OP has not responded within the allotted 30 days?

fused111 wrote: 

Either way, I would ignore them! Since I received these letters, I have not received a single follow-up letter or even one phone call.
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

fused111 wrote:

Anderson wrote:
Fused-

fused111 wrote: 

Either way, I would ignore them! Since I received these letters, I have not received a single follow-up letter or even one phone call.

OK. I just received a similar letter, out of SOL, fallen off CR. I DV'd them cause I don't want letters & phone calls. I want to know exactly what they know, and if they screw with me I want it documented.

We'll see how it plays out for the 3 of us.
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.