Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help!!!!!!!! My score dropped 24 points for disputing

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help!!!!!!!! My score dropped 24 points for disputing

EQ. I disputed Capital One as it being listed in my ch 13 BK discharged. My BK will drop off my report in Aug. 2007. I also disputed two lates to JC Penny back-one in 2000, and 0ne in 2001.

I also disputed three Bank Of America as it is listed in ch 7 BK. I never filed a ch 7, just 13. I know that ch 7 can stay on for 10 years. I didn't want to wait until Aug. to see if they dropped so I wouldn't have to wait two or three months to then dispute them.

I lost 24 points for disputing Cap One and JC Penny. They are calling them-reinvestigation. I have before disputed Crapital One, but never JC Penny. I wasn't penalized for disputing the three B of A.

Why did my score drop for disputing? I lost 11 more points earlier in the last week as well for using my CC's on vacation. Thats a total of 35 points. I have already set up payments online for this months payments on CC's to get them back down. Will I get the 11 points back when those balances are paid back down?

Fico scoring doesn't seem to mind taking your points, but they don't seem to want to give them back as fast.

Thanks for your input.

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help!!!!!!!! My score dropped 24 points for disputing

And right there, you've learned rule number 1.....kidding!
But it's very true.
Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

But why would I lose 24 points for disputing? What has Fico scoring got to do with my disputing?
Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just went through that in June and I am sorry to hear that happened to you.  It just proves my point in that disputes will drop your score.  I asked if this could happen on the forum but was told that it should not drop, but it did.  I don't mean 24 points, I mean over 50 points just when I needed to refi this month.  Can't win...  When in dispute with the bureaus, do those accounts that you are disputing not show up and the points that you had for those accounts, don't count anymore?  I am confused too.
Message 4 of 18
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

If I understand correctly, items being disputed are not used in score calculations while they are in dispute.  This can have some weird effects
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

myhearts07,
Yes they both are reporting-are you joking-LOL. Crap One will report till the day you die, if they get get by with it. I sent GW to JC Penny. They told me to dispute the two lates from 5 years ago, and they wouldn't verify.

midnight voice,
I didn't think desputes would effect fico scores either, however fico alert email said score drop 24 points. I checked it out and it said the drop was over reinvestigation on Crap One, and JC Penny. So apparently my scores were effected in fico scores. Doen't seem fair.
Message 6 of 18
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

cbjn1103 wrote:

midnight voice,
I didn't think desputes would effect fico scores either, however fico alert email said score drop 24 points. I checked it out and it said the drop was over reinvestigation on Crap One, and JC Penny. So apparently my scores were effected in fico scores. Doen't seem fair.

If they are not using the disputed itwems in their calculations, then the calculations can change.

When the dispute is resolved they will recalculate
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

midnightvoice
If they are not using the disputed itwems in their calculations, then the calculations can change.

When the dispute is resolved they will recalculate

Yes, I understand what you mean by that. The only way that that would effect me would be JC Penny, as it really doesn't have a great impact on the neg on the lates being five year ago, plus the fact, the acount is a good older credit history with many CLI's and no lates in a very long time. But for Crap One, if they were counting that one in my score...LOL, that would go up in stad of down if it weren't being included in my score. It is a very serious delingent account with a CO
Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

My disputes have been done.  TU deleted 3 accounts, Ex deleted one and I have not heard a word from Equifax, ever.  My scores have not updated at all.  They are still ridiculously low, so I don't know if they have rescored me with based on their findings or not.     Will let you know when I get new reports.

Thanks
Message 9 of 18
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

There are some things FICO will not calculate while a TL is in dispute. Remember, collections and public records do not apply and are never exempt while in dispute. So yes, disputes can certainly impact your scores (both negatively and positively). The final impact is going to depend on the dispute results.
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.