cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! OCA coming after me for something I knew nothing about! What do I do first?

tag
Candikane
New Contributor

Help! OCA coming after me for something I knew nothing about! What do I do first?

A few months back, my car was parked on the street and it was hit. While being repaired I had a loaner car from Enterprise paid for by the insurance of the person who hit my car. When I received the car, they charged ME insurance of $25 on the loaner vehicle (or risk paying for any even minor ding or scratch). Apparently I didn't pay this that day, although I could of sworn I did. I received one phone call from Enterprise (voicemail msg left) requesting I call them and pay the $25. I was under the impression I HAD paid it, wanted to look into it more when I got home, and then forgot to ever call them back.

Now, a few months later, I get a letter from an OCA on behalf of Enterprise, threateneing to report to bureaus if I don't pay.... and it's $50some dollars.

Is it even legal for Enterprise to do this? I never received a bill or anything like that. I never received anything but 1 voicemail message months ago!

What should I do first? Contact enterprise and try to get them to pull it back from OCA and allow me to pay? Dispute it with OCA, or ask for verification? I don't want to pay $50 for something that should be $25, and in all reality SHOULDN'T EVEN BE OWED BY ME! I find it silly that I have to pay when my car got hit (parked) and both myself and the person who hit me are fully insured. Seems pretty stupid. Anyhow, the charge is there and I'd like advice on the best way I can get this cleared up while paying as little as possible. Thanks in advance for anyone who can help!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
cdtotten
Established Contributor

Re: Help! OCA coming after me for something I knew nothing about! What do I do first?

You took out collission coverage on the vehicle in case something happened while you were borrowing the car. $25 is a little high, but a modestly reasonable rate. If I were you, contact enterprise and pay them the $25 and it will most likely go away. Not worth getting a collections account on your CR for that kind of money, unless you have proof (receipt, credit card statement, etc.) proving you paid.

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 7
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Help! OCA coming after me for something I knew nothing about! What do I do first?

@Candikane wrote:

A few months back, my car was parked on the street and it was hit. While being repaired I had a loaner car from Enterprise paid for by the insurance of the person who hit my car. When I received the car, they charged ME insurance of $25 on the loaner vehicle (or risk paying for any even minor ding or scratch). Apparently I didn't pay this that day, although I could of sworn I did. I received one phone call from Enterprise (voicemail msg left) requesting I call them and pay the $25. I was under the impression I HAD paid it, wanted to look into it more when I got home, and then forgot to ever call them back.

Now, a few months later, I get a letter from an OCA on behalf of Enterprise, threateneing to report to bureaus if I don't pay.... and it's $50some dollars.

Is it even legal for Enterprise to do this? I never received a bill or anything like that. I never received anything but 1 voicemail message months ago!

What should I do first? Contact enterprise and try to get them to pull it back from OCA and allow me to pay? Dispute it with OCA, or ask for verification? I don't want to pay $50 for something that should be $25, and in all reality SHOULDN'T EVEN BE OWED BY ME! I find it silly that I have to pay when my car got hit (parked) and both myself and the person who hit me are fully insured. Seems pretty stupid. Anyhow, the charge is there and I'd like advice on the best way I can get this cleared up while paying as little as possible. Thanks in advance for anyone who can help!

When I was rear-ended about 5 years ago, the other party's insurance company also paid for a rental car, up to a point.  The standard rental was covered, and I believe the LDW as well, but there was the option to purchase additional coverage, such as collison, roadside assistance, and third party injury/property damage.  I declined these, because these were already provided by my regular automobile insurance.  As cdtotten already mentioned and from how you describe the coverage, it does sound like there was additional collision/all-loss coverage tacked onto the rental.

You will have to look at your copy of the rental agreement to determine whether you accepted or declined the coverage.  You'd also have to find proof of payment, if you really think you paid it at the time of the rental.  But unless you can find clear evidence that you declined the coverage, then I think you're on the hook for payment.  I agree with cdtotten; you should contact Enterprise and see if they will pull it back from OCA in exchange for immediate payment (unless you can find your receipt indicated that you paid).  $25 is too small of an amount to let your credit be damaged by a collection account.

Message 3 of 7
Candikane
New Contributor

I completely agree that the $25 isn't worth it. I'd be more than willing to pay the $25 to Enterprise and have this all go away. I am a little hesitant to pay the $50+ though without atleast an explanation of why it's been doubled, and proof that it's valid and legal to have been doubled. I'll definitely get ahold of Enterprise and try to get it pulled back. If they refuse to do so, what would be my next best option?

Thanks for the replies!

Message 4 of 7
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Most collection agencies give you 30 days to pay it before they report it.  So you might be able to just pay it and move on. 

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 5 of 7
IOBA
Senior Contributor

If this were my situation, I would 

1.  Contact Enterprise and ask for a legible copy of the rental agreement.

* look for the decline or accept of the optional insurance

2.  When I rent from Enterprise and my insurance pays for it, Enterprise **ALWAYS** takes my cc information **just in case, even if they already have confirmation that insurance is paying**.   Did they accept a copy of your cc?  If I wasn't disputing that I agreed to pay extra insurance, I would go back to E and say, "I think there was a misunderstanding or a mistake made.  I gave you my cc at the time of rental.  It was my understanding that you were going to charge the cc."

3.  Was there a claim by E that you had damaged the car?  If not, then I would contact them and ask why they are trying to collect for a coverage that is not applicable now.  It should have been charged on the cc at the time of the rental.  

It really sounds like an error that E made.  I'd go talk to them in person.

Message 6 of 7
guydiver
Established Contributor

@cdtotten wrote:

You took out collission coverage on the vehicle in case something happened while you were borrowing the car. $25 is a little high, but a modestly reasonable rate. If I were you, contact enterprise and pay them the $25 and it will most likely go away. Not worth getting a collections account on your CR for that kind of money, unless you have proof (receipt, credit card statement, etc.) proving you paid.

+1

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.