Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Removing Credit Inquires?!? Fraud.

tag
Abelcrdn
Regular Contributor

Help Removing Credit Inquires?!? Fraud.

So I am a victim of identity theft and due to this I have a lot of inquires that I did not do. I hve attempted to get them removed from the bureues but they state that they are not removing them since they are just showing my credit was looked at which is true. What would my next steps be?!?
12/23 Fico Score 8 TU-761 EX -747 EQ-734
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help Removing Credit Inquires?!? Fraud.

They will remove them if you file a police report for identity theft do that then send a copy to all 3 bureaus and it should get the inquiries removed it's definitely pretty easy nowhere near as hard as getting actual accounts removed that were opened due to identity theft.
Message 2 of 11
Abelcrdn
Regular Contributor

So I hve a police report how do I go about removing them with it? Call them or online? I'm not having much luck
12/23 Fico Score 8 TU-761 EX -747 EQ-734
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you disputing online then you are able to scan and upload documents directly to the CRA for review and follow-up with your open dispute.

Here is the link to dispute by mail, which also has the link to dispute errors on your credit report online as well:

https://help.equifax.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/33/related/1

Dispute Process.JPG

Edited to include link provides contact numbers for Experian and Transunion

Message 4 of 11
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Blocking of information from your credit report that is the result of fraud/identity theft is NOT done via the dispute process.

It is done via the separate identity theft process, which is defined under FCRA 605B.

There is no referral to or involvement of the party who reported the information, as there is in a dispute process.

See the sticky thread in the upper section of the General Credit Topics forum titled "Victem of Identity Theft?" for details......

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Robert - Why when I go into the dispute form with the bureaus does it have an option on for fraud/identity theft?

Just curious why they'd do that if they have a separate thing for it.
Message 6 of 11
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

You can file a dispute, but that rarely gets the matter resolved.

A dispute asserts an inaccuracy in the reported information.

The furnisher will almost always have some basis for verifying the accuracy of their reporting.

If an account is fraudulent or opened by another using your identity, the furnisher will have some documentation of that transaction, which they can use to verify their reporting.

They are not required to conduct a private investigation.

Thus, you will usually get a verification of accuracy as a resolution of the dispute.  You get nowhere.

In recognition that the dispute process is usually not productive when addressing an assertion of identity theft, the FCRA was amended by addition of the identity theft process, which is set forth in sectin 605B.  The identity theft process relies only on a sworn statement by the  consumer, with no input or involvement from the furnisher/creditor.

You should go directly to the identity theft process, not the dispute process.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Abelcrdn wrote:
So I hve a police report how do I go about removing them with it? Call them or online? I'm not having much luck

Google for "FCRA 605B" it has instruction on how to have fraudulent items removed. Do not call, send the items listed directly to all three bureau

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Abelcrdn wrote:

Google for "FCRA 605B" it has instruction on how to have fraudulent items removed. Do not call, send the items listed directly to all three bureau

And most importantly do NOT use the standard dispute process online, that will get you nowhere fast.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

My two cents.. I have done a LOT of online disputes dealing with creditors who wouldn't update in my issue. I found out real quick that sending a packet with all your information to back up your side of it, with a letter and itemizing each problem on your report is a lot easier/quicker than the online. The online process most often doesn't work wen trying to upload documents either.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.