Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Removing Erroneous Dispute Remarks

tag
Credit_hawk
Established Contributor

Help Removing Erroneous Dispute Remarks

Hi guys,

I just checked my 3 bureau credit reports to find my student loan servicer Great Lakes has inserted a remark of: Account Dispute Resolved; Consumer Disagrees on the loan for each bureau. This is totally untrue in every way. I don't dispute the debt and I don't disagree. I didnt even know what it was from but then I remembered about a month ago I got an alert on my Experian Credit tracker that my FICO score dropped 15 points mid month. I logged on to discover that my student loan balance reversed to the previous month deleting my large $600 payment with it and thus dropping my credit score. I will also mention that it's only a $4,750 loan and is still in in-school deferment until 2018 with no lates or anything of course. Anyway, I waited a few days and when the score and report didn't self-correct I called Experian to ask what was going on. I informed them that my balance and update reverted back to the previous month. The lady said: "Huh, yeah, that's strange. What is the balance it's supposed to be?" So I told her the balance it was just a few days prior before the reversal and she said she was going to put it in the system to be updated.

I have perfect credit and have never disputed anything in my life. While I thought I was making a complaint to Experian itself I guess she put it in as a dispute with my loan servicer. A few days later everything went back to normal and I forgot all about it.

Now a month later I am seeing this remark placed in every credit bureau's profile even though I only called Experian to complain since it was only them who had the glitch. I understand this can have devistating effects on trying to get a mortgage and such in the future. I do have the credit report PDF print outs from the day before the reversal and the day it was reversed as well as a few days later when it rebounded as proof that I was making a valid complaint. I'm only possibly guilty of being impatient and not giving it a few more weeks to work out but I was entirely ignorant of this effect.

How can I correct this? Who do I call?- the loan servicer or the credit bureaus? It has to be the loan servicer who is putting this stuff in the remarks since it's hitting all bureaus that I never disputed with. If I even get the bureaus to delete it wouldn't it just come right back the next month the loan servicer updates?

Please help guys. I actually managed to pay all $4,750 of the loan except for $1,000 off in the 9 months since it was disbursed. I'm trying to do the right thing and be responsible.

All advice is much appreciated! Thanks!

FICO- Experian: 797, TransUnion: 781, Equifax: 804 (Updated Monthly)
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Help Removing Erroneous Dispute Remarks

The Consumer Finance Protection Bureau (CFPB) has administrative oversight over compliance with the credit reporting provisions of the FCRA, including compliance by the credit reproting agencies.

I would file a formal complaint with the CFPB. 

Note that complaints to the CFPB are NOT disputes that will also end up being included in your credit report.

Message 2 of 6
Credit_hawk
Established Contributor

Thank you for taking your time to help, Robert. I will look into it. Is that something I submit online or is it a print out and mail type of complaint.
Message 3 of 6
Credit_hawk
Established Contributor

Should I call Experian and tell them that I never intended to file a dispute with my loan servicer when I spoke to their rep. That I made it clear I was disputing with Experian themselves and I have the proof in the form of an official pdf credit report from Experian for everyday  that whole week documenting their mix up so they need to fix it with the loan servicer and basically reverse it?

Message 4 of 6
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

Just call the bureaus and ask them to remove the dispute remarks since you don't dispute; it'll be deletedin 24-72 hours. I did the same. Although stilldealing with Equifax as I did it through the mail.

Message 5 of 6
Credit_hawk
Established Contributor

Thanks guys. I will call each bureau. I did just get off the phone with Great Lakes student loan servicer and they said they'd remove it from their end and send me an email. I just explained to them look at my account, I have nothing to dispute it's in deferment for 3 more years and almost paid off. I explained that it will affect me negatively and they said they'd take it off but can't guarantee what the bureaus would do. I suspect it will disappear without calling each bureau if they stop reporting it but I suppose I still will call each. 

Youdontkillmoney, may I ask what numbers you called to successfully remove them. I saw an old thread on here that listed direct executive office numbers and I wonder if they're still relevant.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.