Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help. Rights to know about your debt?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help. Rights to know about your debt?

OK, so I have a pretty crazy scenario. I had no problems with my credit report, nor do I have any problem with overextension. I pay all of my bills on time and have done so consistently for some time. So I check my credit report this year and find a collection agency on there for 6 months or so. I do some investigating and find that this is through Cingular Wireless and is from Jan 07. I switched phone numbers and apparently had one payment left (I have been through this before once with them and so made sure everything was setup properly this time, but oh well). So I never got this bill, so it went to collections. The collections agency never contacted me. The address that both of them had did not include my apartment number and the mail never got to me.

My question is, isn't there some legal responsibility to ensure I am contacted when a debt is owed? This appears to be a valid debt, so is there any leverage I have to get this removed from my report? Thanks to anyone who reads this lengthy issue, and more thanks to anyone who has answers!
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help. Rights to know about your debt?

The leverage you have is that you have the money the CA wants.

I would DV as a first step. No, you're not trying to dispute the debt or get it magically removed. DV to me is a standard procedure that lets the CA know that you are not just a common peasant to be harassed and called at odd hours, but rather an informed consumer who knows how the system works and is not to be trifled with.

Assuming they verify--and they probably will, which is to be expected--then offer a PFD.
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.