Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Should I send a DV letter??

tag
tpayne105
New Contributor

Help! Should I send a DV letter??

I pulled my credit report and there are many things on there I do not know what they are for.  They could be old TL's but I am really not sure.  I also see some things on there that are, at least it appears, duplicated. 

Now I do not want to send up a red flag but if indeed they can be removed, then I would like them to be removed....

Should I send DV letter's? Is there a danger in doing so?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help! Should I send a DV letter??

tpayne105 wrote:
I pulled my credit report and there are many things on there I do not know what they are for.  They could be old TL's but I am really not sure.  I also see some things on there that are, at least it appears, duplicated. 

Now I do not want to send up a red flag but if indeed they can be removed, then I would like them to be removed....

Should I send DV letter's? Is there a danger in doing so?

Thanks!

I always advice everyone to know their SOL before touching anything on their CR.

SOL

A simple dispute can start them going!  A DV only goes to a CA!   and not if you are not past SOL unless you are ready to PAY!

What you see as duplicated  might be reporting by the OC and a CA.....this is legal.  BUT only 1 CA can report at a time.

Message Edited by HappyDays on 01-11-2008 09:36 PM
Message 2 of 3
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

Re: Help! Should I send a DV letter??

You want to make sure and check all 3 CBRs, not just 1.   If you are due to get your annual FACTAs, they will be pretty detailed since they come right from the source, that might help.  www.annualcreditreport.com.  Just make sure you do not dispute off of free reports and have paid ones current. 

You most certainly can get a backlash if you do a blanket dispute of everything.  It can set off a Fraud Alert, or the CRAs can consider it frivolous.  So before you begin, take the time to see what everything actually is and only dispute what is inaccurate.  You can also DV any CA before you dispute.

If something is due to drop off of your CBRs, it's best to leave it alone until it does.  This does not mean you cannot settle something you legitimately owe, just time it right.  It is also best to take your states debt collecting SOL into consideration.  If something is just on the cusp of it, it might be smart to ride it out until it has passed.  Again, this does not mean don't deal with valid debt, just time it right.

Once things are past SOL, it is usually easier to negotiate a PFD with the company since they can no longer win if they sue you.  On the same token, DVing a CA often calls attention to you with the company... so be prepared for the possibility of a lawsuit, especially if it is very close to SOL expiring.

Sort out the DOLA/FDs and SOL and don't forget to get your GWs out for anything paid and derog as well. 
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.