cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Unauthorized hard pull from First USA - scheduled to close on Monday on a refi

tag
betterdays2011
Contributor

Help! Unauthorized hard pull from First USA - scheduled to close on Monday on a refi

Our loan officer just emailed me to ask about inquiry from First USA on our credit report from 4/2/09.  We have not applied for any new credit but I have noticed an increase in mortgage solicitation offers recently.  I thought that had to do with our mortgage company pulling our credit report but now I am not so sure.  We were supposed to close on the refi this coming Monday.

Anyway, how can I get this removed from our report?  And should I be concerned that our SSNs might have been stolen?

I am a freak about monitoring our credit normally but I have been a bit more relaxed in recent weeks.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Kay_Cee
Regular Contributor

Re: Help! Unauthorized hard pull from First USA - scheduled to close on Monday on a refi

Chase typically processes a hard pull under the name First USA for their credit cards.  Have you recently applied for a credit card with them?  If not, you might want to think about a fraud alert on your file.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help! Unauthorized hard pull from First USA - scheduled to close on Monday on a refi

Pull a report directly from the CRA to see the inquiry, creditor contact, and sometimes it will tell the reason.

Send a Non-PP letter.

I don't see it being removed by Monday.

You might call First USA and ask why. If they agree on the phone that you did not apply for credit, then ask them to fax you something. Maybe your LO will take that.

Message 3 of 6
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

...or if you have a Chase card, and you asked for a CLI, they would hard you, and it might appear as First USA.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree, call Chase right away and ask them why. If they say they didn't pull then I would simply write a letter to UW explaining that you DO have a chase card, but you did not apply for any new credit products. Let them know you also called chase to see if there was a reason that they did the credit pull and they were/were not able to give you a reason. It will likely suffice. A lot of us have been asked to provide a letter detailng the recent credit pulls. All they want to know is if you have applied for new credit and will have any new debt obligations that they were not aware of or were not disclosed at the time of your application. I really don't think it will be a big deal.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

As others stated, it's really Chase pulling under FirstUSA name. It's hard pull on Experian, isn't it? I have heard of and personally seen multiple times that Chase makes hard pulls without asking them to do that and then refusing to get rid of those hard pulls. Usually they show up every 3 or 6 months. 
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.