cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help for those who have been issued a new social security number?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help for those who have been issued a new social security number?

If he attacked you in the Social Security office, that's assault and battery. Did you file charges?
Message 11 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Scarlet! Yes, we have stalking laws in Louisiana, only the police here do not seem to take it seriously. Even with a protective order, it is hard to get them to do anything, even though he is clearly violating it. They arrested him ONCE and he was out within 24 hrs only to terrorize me and my children even worse than before.

Fair, you betcha, I bought a gun and learned how to use it. DH is in the military, so, he takes my daughter and I to the shooting range. We have several guns, so, we have placed one in each room, just in case... I took the classes, applied for a concealed weapons permit and got it. It's been about 8 months since he last tried to break in. Let him try again. Since I do have a teenage daughter, I do have the apt locked up as tight as possible. He managed to get the bottom lock undone but not the 2 dead bolts. I'm on the second floor, so, let's hope he doesn't go for the balconies, which are glass....

As far as filing charges go, I have filed them over and over again. They just don't seem to do anything. The incident in the social security office was more of an arm pulling, and yelling and swearing session. The security guard removed him and tried to calm me down. He did not physically strike me. They were mainly concerned for the people there who were upset.

Not sure about most states laws, but in Louisiana, if you are involved in a domestic dispute, the officer will arrest BOTH parties. I know it isn't fair, and I am sure that doesn't make me look any better than him, to have battery charges against me, even though I never laid a hand on him. Our state has seriously fallen through the cracks. They don't seem to do anything unless someone is killed. I personally, don't care to have it go that far.

Sorry this has gotten so off topic, so, I will ask a question about my mingled credit report now. Someone help me if you think I went over board. I wrote to each bureau to dispute any previous information, accounts, even inquiry's (though I doubt they budge). I stated that the information under my new name and number is not accurate to my current file. (which I don't believe it is) I asked that they remove all previous names and addresses as well. I enclosed the letter from social security explaining why my number was changed and that for me to continue using the previous number would be considered fraud, for my proof. TU and EX are currently reporting my cr's under previous social. I am hoping that this will straighten things out. Does this sound like the correct way to do this?

Message Edited by stef37 on 12-25-2007 08:51 PM
Message 12 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

You may want to get on the phone with the CRA and find out which accounts are associated with what address before you send out the letter.
Message 13 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

My heart goes out to you.  What a terrible situation to deal with on an ongoing basis.  But you sound like a strong and smart lady who will get through this. 

A few points (non-credit related):

Make sure that you won't lose any Social Security benefits you accumulated under the old #.  Ask them how your prior contributions get transferred to your new number.

If you can prove that his sister impersonated you to get credit, that's a Federal offense.  Give the FBI a call.

I wish you all the best for 2008.
Message 14 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Definitely a sad day when men act like animals and give the rest of us a bad name. I can't count the number of times I've had to step in when I saw my friends "going too far" with their girlfriends.

I am sorry to hear about the Social Security office situation. In Florida, that pull on the arm, with witnesses, let alone a security guard would have been assault and battery (at least assault). Sometimes I thought those laws went too far. A pull on the arm? Assault? But now that I am older I know a pull on the arm can lead to a well deserved kick in the you know whats which could lead to a more serious violent event. So these laws try to eliminate the option of invading someone's space so that the event does not escalate. I have been baited into moving to Louisiana by a nice paying job but have grown to dislike this state very much. I dream of returning to FL.

Well as far as your situation is concerned, I would limit mailing out your Social Security information. You could be putting your new identity in serious jeopardy. It might take longer but I would send a very general letter regarding your situation and explaining that in order to provide sensitive information you are going to need to speak to one of their customer service personnel by phone and either tell the new info over the phone or fax it to them but get a live person on the phone first. Also it sounds like your ex knows where you live. You might want to consider (if you haven't already) getting a PO Box. If you start getting mail in your new name, it shouldn't be that hard to find some letter in your mail box (or trash) with your new name on it thus revealing your new identity. Last thing is, my ex-girlfriend and I had a car that we purchased together. Well she took over the payments after the split and after a backstabbing reposession, I fought to get it removed. To this day it says Joint Account with Jane Smith on my EX CR (I'm disguising her name of course). So make sure that when your OCs start using your new information that they don't do that same on his CR. He might be able to pull his own credit and find out your new identity.

Sorry for complicating things further but I always like it when I am given more to consider that I may have overlooked.

Message Edited by berraco58 on 12-26-2007 10:07 AM
Message 15 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

You might ask on a board more suited to that purpose which states are better at enforcing restraining laws and locking up perpetrators, then consider moving to one. In the meantime perhaps a visit to your local police and sheriff's office to get them on your side. I am guessing that with a restraining order against him they might tend to arrest only him?
Message 16 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since her DH now is military - they control where they live.

The good ole boys down in LA are just that - PM me - DH has family down that way (Houma) - and I DO have a few connections by marriage - be very glad to contact a few relatives on your behalf.
Message 17 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I have long since grown to hate Louisiana.  I am sure not all the cops are crooked, although if you watch the TV enough, you will see our finest on Dateline planting drugs on people they have pulled over, so they can make an arrest. Now our unit's have to be clearly marked. I never knew it was so bad here until I started really paying attention, plus going through this mess. I am originally from Texas and I know they would NEVER put up with this.

Scarlet, he has family in our local sheriff's dept. I don't know if your people would be of much help, but I will take all the help I can get.

As I have no credit with this man and I wasn't married to him, there should be nothing on his files. I have a locked mailbox, and I shred document's before they are trashed.

I am already on social security so, my benefit's are taken care of now, sorta. They are still working out the kink's in the system with medicare and medicaid to make sure I am still able to get my medication's filled and see my dr's. Hopefully they will have that sorted out soon. Since I am terminally ill, the state pay's my deductible for medicare premiums. SSA didn't inform them of the change, so, they kinda took a chunk of my last check, and I am hoping to get it back soon since they actually paid it, but to the other number of course. Last I heard, it went to Baton Rouge to be "corrected".

I have had a hard time trying to get a live person at any of the CRA's. I don't want to compromise my new number and identity either. I am thinking that the system is matching up the spelling of my first name (which is not the english spelling), my birth date, which I didn't change of course, and the city I am in. I did speak to someone at transunion and he told me, one of my creditor's must of reported my old info under the new social. Well, I don't see how, as they are paid off and I didn't inform them of the new info, so, how did that happen?

It would also help if the CRA's had number's that you could reach a live person. I spent so long on the phone trying to find out HOW I can send info to EX since I cannot dispute nor explain info online. I have a copy of my report for this month, but I am locked out and cannot get another one by mail either. I spoke with a rep at freecreditreport, and she was no help. EX is the one that has the most previous information on file and the hardest to reach!

Thank all of you for your continued support. It makes it more bearable that I can make it through this!
Message 18 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well that answers some of my questions but as far as the quote below is concerned...

stef37 wrote:

It would also help if the CRA's had number's that you could reach a live person. I spent so long on the phone trying to find out HOW I can send info to EX since I cannot dispute nor explain info online. I have a copy of my report for this month, but I am locked out and cannot get another one by mail either. I spoke with a rep at freecreditreport, and she was no help. EX is the one that has the most previous information on file and the hardest to reach!

... if you send a letter with general information and explain your situtation and set up some sort of case with them, they should send you back a letter with a case number and a phone number to match. You will only be able to call that phone number at which time you will be asked to key in a case number. If the case number is real and you entered it using the phone number provided, then you will be connected to a live person. They don't work too well though. It worked a couple times and then I tried to call the number and got a message that I would need to call the main number and then the main number said that in orde to speak to a representative I would need to call the number provided, which then tells you to call the main number. Anyways, as you can see that goes nowhere but for the first week or so, it gives you a live person. It's worth a try. Oh and that was with Experian.
Message 19 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Berraco, that seems like a very good idea. I will give that a try instead of sending all those documents.
Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.