cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help for those who have been issued a new social security number?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help for those who have been issued a new social security number?

Being a victim of domestic violence, I was issued a new social security number by the SSA. I was under the impression I would have to start a new credit file, since my abuser has been able to find me from previous creditors. Not so. I now have a mingled file, and he can easily continue to monitor me, if he choses to do so. My question is, can I possibly have my credit reports unmerged and previous info removed from the file with my new number? I have had to go to extreme's in changing my name, social, DL #, every thing it seems, and I will have to do a follow up restraining order in February. I am willing to dump my good credit and credit history, for limited credit and my safety. I've been reading the boards, but nothing seems to deal with this. Any help, suggestion's, idea's would be much appreciated.
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help for those who have been issued a new social security number?

bump
Message 2 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is your credit file accesible under your old SSN?  It should not be.  I would definitely call and put a freeze or fraud alert on my files if this is the case and call the bureaus to inquire.
Message 3 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, it is accessible under both numbers actually. I used TC to get scores and CR, and it has both numbers listed as number's used/alternatives. Great. I pulled my fico reports and TU and EX have my previous number listed instead of the new number. EQ is the only CRA that has not totally messed up. (They only have my current address wrong) I had trouble even pulling my fico reports due to the discrepencies and the representative I spoke with said she would delete the old number. There is no freeze or fraud alert on the previous number. I started worrying that it would affect the new file if I were to do so. Since I am not applying for anymore credit at the moment, I am sure placing a freeze is not going to hurt me. DH and I were looking into a mortgage in the near future, but I did not see how this was going to overwhelm my life, much less CR's and CS's. And to think my mortgage broker said this wouldn't be a problem, ha! I am to surmise I have a ton of disputing to do?? I would think that my previous information would be inaccurate to say the least with a new name, number, address... I also have a statement from social security stating the reason WHY I was issued a new number.
Message 4 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

They should delete any reference to the old number but be sure to update your creditors with the new number as well.

Message Edited by Brammy on 12-24-2007 07:03 PM
Message 5 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I updated my creditors with the new social and changes as soon as I received my new number. Of course I had to fax each of them a letter from social security as to why, along with a copy of the new card and ID. So far they have all agreed to delete previous name and social and not to report under it. My new credit is only 6 months old. All previous credit has been closed for a few years. It's not funny, but having my ex and my fico scores in the same dream night after night is a real nitemare!!
I have letters ready to go out and see if we can unmingle the monster.

Thanks Brammy for your help and Merry Christmas!
Message 6 of 23
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

stef, would he have been able to access any of your credit reports that show your new number? In other words, has it been compromised? (sorry, sad thing to have to worry about on Christmas!)
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have credit monitoring in place and I don't see any activity other than my own as far as my credit is concerned. I definitely hope he hasn't. I am just concerned when the new restraining order is filed. He usually loses it and goes after me for trying to "control" him. He has had his sister's pretend to be me, and since he is armed with all my previous financial records (he stole my filing cabinet which had everything pertaining to my credit, birth certificate, social security records, etc...) I have placed passcodes on accounts that I could for extra safety. He went so far as to attack me in the social security office. That was how I found out I could even get a new number. Yes, this is a sad thing to worry about at Christmas, and even sadder to worry about every day he is still out there. I have faith that I can get through all this, though.

Happy Holidays to everyone!!
Message 8 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Could his actions fall under the stalking laws?

You have my full support (and wishes for continued safety) - I know standing up to him is not easy.
Message 9 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

You should get a gun (and apply for a permit to carry for self defense), and make sure he knows you have it and will have no problem using it on him in self-defense if he breaks his restraining order on you.

It sounds like you have some serious problems that can't be dealt with by changing your SSN# alone. If he's going to attack you in public, then you need to get something to defend yourself when he comes to attack you at home.
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.