Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me determine which is faster.

tag
R3VOLUTION

Help me determine which is faster.

Score: 548. 

Main Problems: Past serious delinquicy with 4 charged off accounts. 

Better to: Pay off all charged off accounts (2 are paid in full, one is paid down 60%, other will be paid (big one, will be settled) shortly) and open new lines of credit as these cannot be re-opened any way?

Or should I make monthly payments? I don't even think monthly payments would show up at this point. They are not in collections, and I want to catch the last one before it makes it there. I have about 9 student loan accounts, all of which I am now making consistent payments on. Usually a little extra on my lowest account.

The main worry is those charged off accounts are putting my utilization at like 2000%, since my only open card has a few hundred dollar limit. Catch there is I can't get another card until these are paid off. 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
R3VOLUTION

Re: Help me determine which is faster.

Any recommendations for a good credit card I could open now given my score? 

Message 2 of 9
Involver
Valued Contributor

I'm not really sure you will qualify for any "good" cards based on your score or the information you have provided.  Pay off the charged-off accounts and work from there.

Message 3 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If the debts are still owned by the OC, you have the opportunity to accomplish three things... satisfy the debt, get possible deletion of the reported charge-off,and avoid an additional collection.

Offerng a PFD would thus be my recommendation on the unpaid debts IF it is still an option.

However, it might be a bit late to offer that incentive of paying in full in exchange for CR deletion of the CO if you are already under an agreed payment plan, as you would already have commited to payment without their need for any additional concessions.

Thus, options may depend upon whatever agreement you are currently commited to........

If PFD is no longer an option, then whether to pay off earlier than agreed or continue to make payments would depend upon the terms of your current repayment agreement.

Is interest continuing to accrue, or do you have agreement for a preset, total amount of repayment?

Does your repayment agreement include any agreement not to refer for collection as long as its terms continue to be met?

Are you planning to app for new credit prior to the final repayment, and thus have a need to show satisfaction of the debt before applying?

Message 4 of 9
denver133
Frequent Contributor

I was in a similar boat as you over a year ago.  

I applied for a US bank secured card for $500 at the time just to get my foot in the door. I had a score of 433 so they took that chance on me.  Might be a good solution for you.  Let that report as well as getting those debts paid off/PFD.

My Cards: CSP: $5,000 // Hyatt: $5,000 // Cap1 Venture: $5,000 // US Bank Plat: $3,500 // Discover: $1,000 // AMEX BCE: $1,000 // Lowes: $5,500 // Furniture Row: $3,500 // Buckle Store Card: $750

Current MyFico Scores: EX 687 EQ 696 TU 687 Gardening from 5/15 till 5/16

Message 5 of 9
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

@denver133 wrote:

I was in a similar boat as you over a year ago.  

I applied for a US bank secured card for $500 at the time just to get my foot in the door. I had a score of 433 so they took that chance on me.  Might be a good solution for you.  Let that report as well as getting those debts paid off/PFD.

^^^

this is good adivce. I agree. good luck OP.

Message 6 of 9
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@R3VOLUTION wrote:

Main Problems: Past serious delinquicy with 4 charged off accounts. 

Get those addressed.  The Rebuilding subforum is where you need to be.

Message 7 of 9
R3VOLUTION

I took two of them to paid in full already. One is accruing interest, it will be paid off within a month. None of them would agree to move anything from charge off. The one accruing interest if BOA. Any suggestions to how to get them to delete the charge off? The big one is not accruing interest, and it's large enough that I'm just going to have to settle it. I was approved a few days back for a Credit One card, which I plan on using just for my morning coffee to keep the usage under 10%. 

Message 8 of 9
jbishop1001
Frequent Contributor

Sounds like you will have to wait until they fall off your report (7 years from original date of report) or are paid in full, whichever comes first.

Starting Fico 8 Score: 571 EQ - 574 EX 605 TU Current Fico 8: 695 EQ 677 EX 709 TU
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.