Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help removing State Tax Lien - CFPB complaint

Best of luck to you!

Message 12 of 30
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Paid tax liens do not become an issue for a CFPB complaint until 7 years after the date paid.

Until then, they remain properly included under the provisions of FCRA 605(a), and thus there is no basis for a complaint of violation of the FCRA.

The CRAs are currently implementing their own internal review of tax liens and judgments, with the stated goal under their National Consumer Assistance Plan, of administratively removing any liens or judgments that do not include the miminum identifiers of name, address, and either an SSN or complete date of birth.

The CRAs are expecting to complete their own internal removal of tax liens and judgments that lack the minimum identifiers by the end of July.

I would wait for conclusion of their review before contacting the CRA.

Message 13 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks I've read where some people had success way before the 7 year period.

as a follow up to anyone who reads this thread and wants to look for some language, on the CFBP site you  can review public complaints made. Just search for GA DEPT OF revenue (or any other entity) and you can see the complaint, status and a few other details.

Message 14 of 30
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Speaking from experience, a dispute may not work out in your favor but I've never had any dispute with Experian come out with worse than what I started with.

Also EX can delete and then reinsert the data, I don't have happy experiences with disputing tax liens (well my Cali State one specifically, Fed liens when I was in the right they got airstruck right quick) until recently on TU and that was after much trouble.

I'd wait personally to see if NCAP works, I'm not a favor of trying to save a couple months even with an impending mortgage in September but YMMV.

ETA: actually just thought of something, if you dispute, and they verify, the tradeline can be updated... what happens if it updates with now correct information that will get it kept with NCAP when it might've been excluded previously?  Don't dispute, let that idle and possibly broken tradeline get whacked naturally.

Nobody other than consumers likes this change, and basically it is a stick for everyone else to get their acts together and they've had ballpark 18 months to do it... so their reporting standards WILL improve, that much is effectively guarunteed, and you want your data as broken as possible when it comes to exclusion.  Don't go poking the bear on this one, if anything I'd be deleting spurious addresses though so there's less possibility of getting a match.

        
Message 15 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! Your edited comment area is something I've been thinking about. Considering it's not killing my score it may be worth the wait. ...the only issue is how long it'll actually take the new rule to hit my report (should there be errors). Guess it's just better to wait and see.
Message 16 of 30
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks! Your edited comment area is something I've been thinking about. Considering it's not killing my score it may be worth the wait. ...the only issue is how long it'll actually take the new rule to hit my report (should there be errors). Guess it's just better to wait and see.

I'm pretty confident in suggesting that come 7/2, if the data on the lien or judgement wasn't accurate, it'll be off your report.

Probably will occur 7/1 but giving them the day to complete the cleanup, though presumably the query they intend to run to scrub the dataset has long since been tested numerous times as it's kinda a big deal from a maintenance perspective.

        
Message 17 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is encouraging!! I hope you're right, thanks Smiley Happy
Message 18 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Equifax appears to be waiting til the last minute and very hard line. TU is fairly nice and easy to get removed.  Exp.  mixed results. They appear to going to remove stuff in early June. My situation dealt with ID Fraud that caused a Federal Tax Lien that I got withdrawn. Even with the IRS withdrawal notice Equifax verified it twice. I did file a complaint against Equifax last week because it .    I think everybody but Equifax will have them deleted if they follow the guidelines as as far as lack of information in June. Exp told me 6/1/17. I would just wait a few weeks as even with my withdrawal notices this has been going  on for over 2 months and my case was very clear cut.   

Message 19 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the feedback! I don't see it being a harm for us to wait this out. As a follow up does anyone know if the SSN verification will be satisfied if it's just the last 4 of a SSN as opposed to all numbers?
Message 20 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.