Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with a collection account on my credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help with a collection account on my credit

There is a collection account from allianceone.  It shows only on my experian report and not on the other two.  so here's the story:

I got pulled over and cited for some non-driving violations; insurance and registration stuff for the car.  I go to court and get a $350 ticket.  I choose to pay it off over a short 6 month installment plan.  They say they will process it and send me something in the mail to start the payment plan.  Well i never get anything in the mail and i forget about it.  a few months later i get pulled over again and find out my license is suspended for nonpayment. 

I find out the first ticket i got, the officer wrote down the wrong address for me.  he left out a number in my address. 4122 instead of 41122. The DMV sends the installment plan and info to the wrong address and i never receive it.  So the ticket goes to collections.  once i found that out i pay it off right away. 

on experian it says when it opened it's a key derogatory, but it was paid in full and the account is now closed.  it happened back in aug. of '04.

i was wondering if this was disputeable.  I never receive the info i should have so that i could of payed it off, and of course receive no warnings and goes to collection because of the wrong address they had for me.  Any help would be awesome.  thanks

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help with a collection account on my credit

Dispute the heck out of it... Municipalities are tough, but I've had personal success with them.

Rob
Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

ok i figured i would try.  How would i first approach it.  write a letter to the collection agency, or to the dmv, or some other first step?  should i first dispute through experian?

Message Edited by ryguyasu on 09-17-2007 02:05 PM
Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

May I ask what state do you live in? May I also ask how the entry is reporting on the CR - as a judgement, a public record or a collection account?

What's happening is the municipality or the state has hired a collections agency to act on their behalf to collect the ticket. 

I wouldn't mess around with this.  I know that the majority of states will suspend your license if you don't pay tickets.  In some states, you can get arrested for not paying a ticket.  Here's what I would do:

1) Call your DMV and find out if your license is still suspended.  If it's not suspended, then your account is probably paid and you can send a GW letter to Alliance One.   I'm guessing that if the account is showing up as "paid", then the fine was paid.    Your license may still be suspended, though.

2) If your license is suspended, then find out what you need to do to lift the suspention.  You may just have to pay a "restoration fee", or you may need to call the municipality where you received the ticket.   If it's because the ticket is still unpaid, find out where you need to go to pay the ticket, whether it's the municipal office or the police station, then go to the office where you need to go to pay the ticket and pay the ticket ASAP.
Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

sorry, must have misunderstood this a little bit.  the whole suspension thing has been dealt with.  this ticket was in 04'.  i paid it off in 04', everything is fine with the dmv.  i'm just trying to deal with the credit aspect of all of this.  here is all the information i know and can see from it.

ACCT Type:  collection department/agency/attorney
ACCT status: closed
Date opened: 4/1/2004
terms: 1 month
payment status: paid, was a collection account, insurance claim or government claim or was terminated for default.

Legend shows a key derogatory in jun 04, no data provided in jul 04, and ok/current in aug 04'.  this is all coming from my experian credit report.

i have the documentation showing them having my wrong address on the copy of the original ticket i got.
Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok you are dealing with a CA..........DV them  CMRRR....sit and wait! If you hear from them ok...you have proof that it has been paid....they can not get Info. if it isn't there

Do not talk to them on the phone. If they call tell them not to call everything in writting!!

Also look at the date that it was first reported  is it before or after you paid?

If you haven't disputed with CRA  do so now at same time as DV.

Message Edited by HappyDays on 09-17-2007 04:44 PM

Message Edited by HappyDays on 09-17-2007 04:45 PM
Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey, appreciate all the resonses and help, but i'm new to the forums and the whole credit world.  what does CMRRR, CRA, and DV mean?

I know that the account went to collections, and then i paid for it.  only reason i paid and found out about it was because i got pulled over and got a ticket for driving with a suspended license.
Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

read the post above...I add to it

this is Ga. LAW  you can record phone conversations.

Ga. Code Ann. § 16-11-62: Secretly recording or overhearing a conversation held in a private place, whether carried out orally or by wire or electronic means, is criminally punishable as a felony under statutory provisions regarding invasions of privacy. However, the law expressly provides that it does not prohibit a person who is a party to a conversation from recording and does not prohibit recording if one party to the conversation has given prior consent. Ga. Code Ann. § 16-11-66.

Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

i'm in az.  not sure about phone laws.  but can you redo your post in normal talk please Smiley Happy
Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

oops  sorry I thought you were in GA....OK you can record in AZ........

Ariz. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 13-3005: Interception of a wire or electronic communication by an individual who is not a party, without the consent of someone who is a party to the communication, is a felony. The electronic communications referred to in the statute include wireless and cellular calls. The overhearing of a conversation by an individual who is not present, without the consent of a party to that conversation, is also a felony. Both violations are classified as "class 5" felonies, which are the second least serious felonies in Arizona

If the calls continue I would go to radio shack & get everything that is needed!!! It can be used in court!!

this is a link to abbreviations

they really don't take long to learn
CA = Collection Agency =  you are dealing with
CMRRR = Certified Mail Return Receipt Requested      how you need to send to CA
DV = Debt Validation        you will mail this & wait...they have 30 days to answer.
CRA = Credit Report Agency (aka TransUnion, Equifax, Experian)

Do you need a DV letter to copy??????

Message Edited by HappyDays on 09-17-2007 06:32 PM

Message Edited by HappyDays on 09-17-2007 06:32 PM
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.