cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with finding the right credit union...

tag
Techngro
Established Member

Help with finding the right credit union...

Hi again all,

I've been building my credit back up for about 18 months mow. I've made some good steps. My most recent card was a 'raise your limit' offer and after making on-time payments, my credit limit was doubled as promised.

Now i'm interested in joining a credit union. Everything i've heard about credit unions is positive and i'm hoping to take advantage of the low fees and better interest rates. After some research, it looks like I am eligible for two credit unions in two different parts of the country, lol.

https://www.missioncityfcu.org/

https://www.financialcu.com/home/home

I know it's a longshot, but does anyone have any experience with either of these credit unions? I'm sure either would be fine. They are both attached to large institutions that funnel members to them, so I think they're both respectable and stable financial institutions.

Alternatively, if anyone knows another credit union that would accept anyone and is decent, please let me know.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Help with finding the right credit union...

There are tons that are available that can be joined for a $20-25ish donation to charity or similar non-profit organization of the CU's choice.

Popular ones on this forum (Google should pull up all based on acronym) include:

DCU

Alliant

SDFCU

Penfed

Likely a bunch of others.   I actually have memberships to all of the listed ones here plus one other local one, a lot of it is based on what works for you: personally I use DCU and Alliant pretty heavily, and haven't really used SDFCU (though had I known what I know now when I was starting I would've) and Penfed while an excellent CU, is more for people with near gold-plated credit which I simply don't have at this point.  In a couple of years I'll likely make more use of them, YMMV depending on where you are on the credit spectrum.

In addition to one (or more, I may be an anachronism in stockpiling CU's and other lenders, I've just found different lenders run different promotions / underwriting at different times and when I need something, I sort of need it now) of the online/national ones, I highly encourage anyone to pick up a local CU as well: sometimes it just helps to be able to walk down and sell your case in person when asking for something.

        
Message 2 of 3
Techngro
Established Member

Re: Help with finding the right credit union...

Thank you for the detailed response. I will look at those credit unions you mentioned, though I think I will only join 1 when I make a decision. Smiley Happy Perhaps when I build my credit further, I will join one or two more and apply for some credit cards.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.