Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with my credit situation!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help with my credit situation!

I always have had a perfect paying history with my credit cards, but back in march of 2007 for 5 months i was unemployed and made some late payments on a revolving line of credit through Citi Flex. I then got a job and became current all over again. I got a car loan from Wachovia back in july 2007, for a car for 11,000 and my score was 640 when they pulled my report. I have never been late on any car loan, nor again on citi flex, nor on many of my credit cards. I only was late on my HSBC petland credit card twice by a day or so... but nevertheless.... i want to GET OUT OF DEBT and pay off ALL my debts and then i would close my unused credit cards off that would get me back into a debtfull mess! My question is, i went to my bank, national city, and I applyed for a unsecured line of credit of 25,000 (amount i needed to pay off EVERYTHING) and i was declined saying i had too much debt to income ratio, score wasnt high enough, history was too limitd based on 2-3 years. Well since September when i applied, i have paid on time, and i tried getting a credit line increase on a credit card but was decline this month... I am swimming in DEBT and i know why and to get myself out of it i need a loan for that high amount, but once i pay off my debt i will close the accoutns so i wont get backed in it... but the bank doesnt understand, so WHAT can i do to help my score go up besides paying my bills on time, all my credit cards are maxed out, and and one even over limit, i dont know how to get OUT of this debt and the only way is to pay them off, but by reading on this site, the (utilation) of my debt to incoem ratio having maxed out cards etc hurts but i cant get OUT of that cycle withoput paying them off, i dont make enough to pay every credit i have any higher than min payments. I have 3 credit cards, thru national city with 4500 dollars (80 dollars over limit), a chase card that almsot maxed out(declined increase of credit), a paypal credit with 1000, a zales account that i always have paid on time, a levin furniture that never bothers me to pay on time, and petland now that i am always current. I have that citi flex revoling line of creidt that i NOW for months pay on time, and my two car loans that i always have been on time with. I dont know how to get outa debt i dont make enough CASH to pay in cash only on credit but everything being maxed out and i cant get outa it. so what can i do to make my credit high enough to just get that loan?
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help with my credit situation!

I have been trying in the last month to read, look at programs and ask professionals about credit issues.  I have learnt that it is not good on your credit to close out your credit cards. Just try not to use them!  I have been upset about my scoring and went to start closing all my credit cards.  On that same day (earlier this month) I saw Suze Orman on Oprah and she said not to close your cards because instead of helping your credit it will most times worsten your credit.  In the past my husband was in debt and unable to pay his creditors.  Most of his accounts had not been paid in a year, so I pulled up his credit report which gave all the creditors account numbers and phone numbers and i called them all a made settlement agreements.  I was given an option to pay all at once of even pay in three payments of the amount settled.  In most cases I was able to tell them what I would pay them, ex. one account he owed $900. and I told them we could only pay $400. I was told that the less they would take was 50% of the amount owed on the account.  That still worked out.  I may help if you watch Suze Orman she has helped me.  Is Levins still open where you live, they have been closed here for over ten years where I live. Smiley Surprised  Hope this is of some help.  I've been there, thinking do I feed my family or do I pay the credit cards with my paycheck.
Message 2 of 7
marty56
Super Contributor

You might want to look at a DMP.  It took 4.5 years for me to complete and I am in good shape now.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi and welcome. This is a great place to ask questions, and get your credit healthy again.

What’s In Your FICO® Credit ScorePayment history: 35%, Amounts owed: 30%, Length of credit history: 15%, New credit: 10%, Types of credit used: 10%

As far as the primary tool used by lenders to judge someone's credit worthiness it is FICO. Look at the pie chart. You'll see length of credit history accounts for 15% of your total FICO score. So it is not in your best interest to close them. Closing a cc account in good standing(with a balance) will do more harm than good. Just dont use it. Put it in a sock drawer and use it only once per year to keep it active.

That pie chart came directly from the "Credit Education" section in the black menu bar at top of page. I suggest you read every item contained in the menu bar, except perhaps "Get a Loan" & "Get a Credit Card"

I suggest that first off in repairing your credit, you stop using them 100%. Nada, cold turkey. Put them in your sock drawer. At the same time pay as much as humanly possible, within your means. Look at the pie chart. Amounts owed accounts for 30% of your FICO score.

Paying down the balances to under 10% was the only way I could raise my FICO score from 521 in March, to 681 in July.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

marty56 wrote:
You might want to look at a DMP.  It took 4.5 years for me to complete and I am in good shape now.

You also want to keep in mind that after you join a DMP it will kill your score at first and also some of your CCCs will not agree to the terms of the agreement and may put up a fight.
Message 5 of 7
demi
Established Contributor

You may have a lot of debt, but it doesn't sound like you have a tremendous amount of creditors....I would suggest working with them, calling and seeing if they will lower the percentage of interest, or take a smaller payment for a limited time....then take the smallest one, and really work on getting it paid off (or the one with the most ridiculous interest rate).  See if you can get late/over limit fees waived...if you let them know you are sincere, they may work with you.  Then stick to it faithfully.  Tear up the cards, but don't close.....you will get new ones when they would have expired.  You will still have the info to charge in case of emergency.

I did do a debt management plan, and its worked very well for me- but I also had about 15 creditors.  But in your case, I think if you work on just the credit cards, you are probably within a manageable range. 

And don't apply for any more...and don't use one to pay off another.  And do something right away...if I had taken care of the debt management plan when it was first suggested to me by one of my creditors, I would be done.

Starting Score: EQ 679, TU 697
Current Score: EQ 680, TU 672
Goal Score: EQ 720, TU 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 6 of 7
marty56
Super Contributor

I never checked my score after I entered the program but now my scores are all over 700.  The only thing that affected my score that I am aware of is that the accounts are closed when they get paid off.  I have a Sams card, Cheveron card, and a Compusa account that I didnt add to the program.  As far a I know,  only secured accounts (car payment, house, payment) and medical stuff can't be put into the program.  Some creditors put a note in your credit report that you are in a DMP.  I was able to qualify for a mortgage while I was in the program.

Most credit card compaines lowered the intrest rates - to around 9% that is.  I wish I got get 9% for 5 years on any investment.

Discover and JC Pennys did nothing on the interest rates.  They funny thing about the Discover card was the I was shopping in Sams a few months ago and the receipt came up for a $7000 Discover card, which I declined.

Once those 3 accounts are all under 10 % (a few more months).  I amy apply for a BoA card to help me play the FICO score game.  They owe me big time.

I dont think the DMP affects your FICO scores except when the accounts are closed.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.