Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High Utilization

tag
Boswd
Valued Contributor

Re: High Utilization

LOL   i was thinking the same thing.    Not preaching here but with the scores you have, you should have no problem getting any card you want.  But you are having problems.   That should be telling you something.   That maybe your debt is getting a little out of control?   I would maybe think of getting some of your current debt down a bit.
Message 11 of 27
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

And reducing util would considerably improve your scores!
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 12 of 27
Boswd
Valued Contributor

Agreed, if you can get all your utilizations to under at the very least  30%, your scores will be in the mid 700's.
Message 13 of 27
renov8r
Established Member

Thanks for the concern. 

My income will be increasing in the next couple of months, and I need to refinance my first mortgage to a fixed rate (no cash out needed) in October.  I plan on continuing to lower my util and overall debt. 

But - If I need to use credit between now and October, would it be worse to increase my util by using my existing TL's or to add on more TL and keep the util down? 
Message 14 of 27
Boswd
Valued Contributor

If you are going to be applying for a refinance,   the rule of thumb is basically not open up any new credit.    I would work on the utilization as much as you can before you refinance.
Message 15 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a new question. Why are you borrowing over $82,800? Is your income greater than $100k?

Do you need it because you ran out?
Need it for investments? (I see this happen a lot!)
Want it for something?
Planning on taking a long holiday in another country?

Just an opinion, I think the banks might see this as a potential bankruptcy if income does not support it. If income supports it a recon letter or phone call to credit dept might over turn a denial. I see many people max out for investments producing more income someplace else.

Message Edited by ilovepizza on 06-20-2007 12:52 PM
Message 16 of 27
renov8r
Established Member

The current debt was to start a business and to home remodel.  The wife and daughter are traveling out of the country in August and I want to have plenty of credit available if they need it.
Message 17 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

you are already at 80% UTL with about 4500 of available credit.

I don't know why but just seems NUTS to add more debt to this pile.
Message 18 of 27
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

renov8r wrote:
The current debt was to start a business and to home remodel.  The wife and daughter are traveling out of the country in August and I want to have plenty of credit available if they need it.

Try for a CL of $50,000 to get your util down to about 30%.  Especially as your current score are not as good as they might be, and that could hurt the refi rate.
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 19 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Try explaining your financial situation to Amex in reference to the denial. I just call them on the phone. Only thing that they see is score, history, credit limit and debt. You can fill in the gaps when talking to them.

Message Edited by ilovepizza on 06-20-2007 01:17 PM
Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.