cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High balance - any influence on score or credit approvals?

tag
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

High balance - any influence on score or credit approvals?

Ive been pushing the max through my secured cards and paying all or 99% of balance off before statement cuts.  One my Cap1 card it reports the high balance on the card.  This number is very close to my credit limit.  Is this a problem? Im pretty sure it doesnt affect credit scores but do lenders look at this as a negative or positive?

Thanks,

Duncan

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
compassion101
Established Contributor

Re: High balance - any influence on score or credit approvals?

I don't think it should have any effect

Message 2 of 3
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: High balance - any influence on score or credit approvals?

@Duncanrr wrote:

Ive been pushing the max through my secured cards and paying all or 99% of balance off before statement cuts.  One my Cap1 card it reports the high balance on the card.  This number is very close to my credit limit.  Is this a problem? Im pretty sure it doesnt affect credit scores but do lenders look at this as a negative or positive?

Thanks,

Duncan

Hard to say, but I'd bet any reasonable amount of money on it's being a positive on underwriting.   You have to be able to responsibly demonstrate full use of your credit before you can be granted more in some situations.  That doesn't come up very often I'll admit, but on the other hand you want to run as much of your financial life through your cards if you're trying to build better relationships both with current lenders and future ones.  

Using your card = winning for banks; egro, you make yourself look not only safe, but also profitable... banks like that combination.

FICO doesn't care about high balance to my knowledge other than in utilization calculations for flexible spending account / Visa Sig style cards, or charge cards under the '98 model.

        
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.