Frequent Contributor

High balance exceeds limit. Is this affecting my score?

I know people have said it only affects you for the month that it was over the limit, but why does it still show on my report if it has no affect? Any thoughts?
Established Contributor

Re: High balance exceeds limit. Is this affecting my score?

Just on the utilization front... May increase your interst rates with the CC, but FICO impact is nulled when the debt is back down to acceptable percentages. :smileyvery-happy:

So just pay it down, and don't fret.

Rob
Established Contributor

Re: High balance exceeds limit. Is this affecting my score?

ah32 wrote:
I know people have said it only affects you for the month that it was over the limit, but why does it still show on my report if it has no affect? Any thoughts?

I assume it's just a data field CRAs request creditors fill in on their report. The only time it's used would be if a CCC (like CapOne) did not report a CL, then the high balance is substituted. Otherwise, it's meaningless, even in a manual review. There's no way for a lender to know what your CL was at the time of the high balance, if you've had a CLD since then, if you've reallocated CL to another CC, etc. Just because your historical high balance is higher than your current CL, doesn't necessarily mean you were ever over-limit.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions based on Experian or Equifax data (additional FICO® Score versions based on TransUnion data are not currently available on myFICO.com). Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.