Regular Contributor
ah32

High balance exceeds limit. Is this affecting my score?

I know people have said it only affects you for the month that it was over the limit, but why does it still show on my report if it has no affect? Any thoughts?
Established Contributor
FICO_Focused

Re: High balance exceeds limit. Is this affecting my score?

Just on the utilization front... May increase your interst rates with the CC, but FICO impact is nulled when the debt is back down to acceptable percentages. :smileyvery-happy:

So just pay it down, and don't fret.

Rob
Established Contributor
Revike

Re: High balance exceeds limit. Is this affecting my score?

ah32 wrote:
I know people have said it only affects you for the month that it was over the limit, but why does it still show on my report if it has no affect? Any thoughts?

I assume it's just a data field CRAs request creditors fill in on their report. The only time it's used would be if a CCC (like CapOne) did not report a CL, then the high balance is substituted. Otherwise, it's meaningless, even in a manual review. There's no way for a lender to know what your CL was at the time of the high balance, if you've had a CLD since then, if you've reallocated CL to another CC, etc. Just because your historical high balance is higher than your current CL, doesn't necessarily mean you were ever over-limit.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+