cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High balance exceeds limit. Is this affecting my score?

tag
ah32
Frequent Contributor

High balance exceeds limit. Is this affecting my score?

I know people have said it only affects you for the month that it was over the limit, but why does it still show on my report if it has no affect? Any thoughts?
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: High balance exceeds limit. Is this affecting my score?

Just on the utilization front... May increase your interst rates with the CC, but FICO impact is nulled when the debt is back down to acceptable percentages. Smiley Very Happy

So just pay it down, and don't fret.

Rob
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: High balance exceeds limit. Is this affecting my score?

@ah32 wrote:
I know people have said it only affects you for the month that it was over the limit, but why does it still show on my report if it has no affect? Any thoughts?

I assume it's just a data field CRAs request creditors fill in on their report. The only time it's used would be if a CCC (like CapOne) did not report a CL, then the high balance is substituted. Otherwise, it's meaningless, even in a manual review. There's no way for a lender to know what your CL was at the time of the high balance, if you've had a CLD since then, if you've reallocated CL to another CC, etc. Just because your historical high balance is higher than your current CL, doesn't necessarily mean you were ever over-limit.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.