Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High individual utilization % = good approvals

tag
racer-x
Valued Contributor

High individual utilization % = good approvals

So, since my AA/CLD in Dec and Jan, from USuck Bank, Chase and Discover....I've made some significant progress in fixing those issues.

I was hit with about $32k in CLD on 5 cards.

Since then, I pif'd 4/5 of the CLD accounts, except for the USuck bank PLOC.

I'm carrying balances on 5/20 cards with utilization at 82%, 48%, 48%, 33%, 28%.

In the past month with these high individual utilization percentages, I've received this:

Chase: reinstated my Slate and +$500 from $1.5k to $3500, reinstated my Freedom from $2.2k to $6k, and partial reinstatement of CSP from $4.8k to $10k

Cap One - Venture - $10k

Cap One - Venture One - $10k

Total Rewards Siggy Visa - $7k

Fidelity AMEX - $3.5k

Lowes - CLI - +$8.5k to $17k

Walmart - CLI - +$2k to $6k

NASA CC - denial (too many open/revolving accts and/or borrowing capacity)

Discover told me to give them a few more months and they should be able to do something with restoring my original CL of $12.9k, its at $4.7k now...I'm using the hell out of it now.

USuck bank can still ead. 

Point is, even with individual high utilization, don't let that scare you.  I don't think creditors mind so much and quality approvals and CLI's can be had.

Overall utilization around 14%, scores 708, 693, 717

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
tonyjones
Valued Contributor

Re: High individual utilization % = good approvals

@racer-x wrote:

So, since my AA/CLD in Dec and Jan, from USuck Bank, Chase and Discover....I've made some significant progress in fixing those issues.

I was hit with about $32k in CLD on 5 cards.

Since then, I pif'd 4/5 of the CLD accounts, except for the USuck bank PLOC.

I'm carrying balances on 5/20 cards with utilization at 82%, 48%, 48%, 33%, 28%.

In the past month with these high individual utilization percentages, I've received this:

Chase: reinstated my Slate and +$500 from $1.5k to $3500, reinstated my Freedom from $2.2k to $6k, and partial reinstatement of CSP from $4.8k to $10k

Cap One - Venture - $10k

Cap One - Venture One - $10k

Total Rewards Siggy Visa - $7k

Fidelity AMEX - $3.5k

Lowes - CLI - +$8.5k to $17k

Walmart - CLI - +$2k to $6k

NASA CC - denial (too many open/revolving accts and/or borrowing capacity)

Discover told me to give them a few more months and they should be able to do something with restoring my original CL of $12.9k, its at $4.7k now...I'm using the hell out of it now.

USuck bank can still ead. 

Point is, even with individual high utilization, don't let that scare you.  I don't think creditors mind so much and quality approvals and CLI's can be had.

Overall utilization around 14%, scores 708, 693, 717

Your overall is low still though, now if your overall was at like 60% I doubt you would of gotten approved for anything.

Current Fico Scores: (December 2023)
Message 2 of 7
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@racer-x wrote:

There's a big difference between that and the subject of your thread.  Approvals and CLI's are certainly possible but one shouldn't count on high individual utilization to get them.  One would still be better off, generally speaking, with low individual utilization.

Message 3 of 7
racer-x
Valued Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

@racer-x wrote:

There's a big difference between that and the subject of your thread.  Approvals and CLI's are certainly possible but one shouldn't count on high individual utilization to get them.  One would still be better off, generally speaking, with low individual utilization.

Where did I say that 'ONE SHOULD HAVE'  high utilization to get CLI's or approval?  I've read my OP 20 times and I can't find it for the life of me.

And where did I say that 'ONE IS BETTER OFF WITH HIGH UTILIZATION'?  You're contradicting things that I didn't even say? How the heck does that work? lol.

Of course lower utilization on individual cards is better than high utilization....thanks for pointing that out Mr. Obvious.  Never said it wasn't.

And what is 'untrue' about high utilizatioin = CLI's and approvals?  If it happens = true.  Fire = hot.  Water = wet. Grass = green.  Do you see the pattern forming here?

Did high utilization stop me from getting CLI's and approvals?  Nope, shore didn't.  So my statement is absolute truth.  Did it HELP me get CLI's and new approvals, HELL no it didn't. 

When Chase reinstated most of my original credit limits, the UW was basically reading my TU report to me....things like you have 6 accts carrying balances, your total CC debt is XXXX....not once did she ask why my USuck acct was at 82%.  You'd have thought that high balance would have raised an eyebrow.

Same with Lowes and Walmart....those were CSR CLI's so they were looking at a report when they gave me the CLI's.

Again, point is, people have a fear of high individual utilization on accounts keeping them from getting CLI's and/or approvals.  IMO, NOT YOURS, it's not always the case.

Don't you have a wife or something to argue with? gee whiz cheez whiz.

Message 4 of 7
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

I would think Takeshi74 was referring to your title  "high individual utilization = good approvals"  (= meaning equals)

... remember stay calm and be friendly ...Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 7
racer-x
Valued Contributor

@lg8302ch wrote:

I would think Takeshi74 was referring to your title  "high individual utilization = good approvals"  (= meaning equals)

Exactly.  I have high individual utilization and i received CLI's and new approvals....nice ones at that.

Would it be more accurate to say ' high utilization does not equal CLI's and approvals'?  No, because that's not what happened.  What happened see is, I have high utilization on individual accounts and I received great CLI"s and new approvals.  Again, I am right.  Sorry.  But my opinion cannot be swayed.  Thanks for trying.

Message 6 of 7
tiger_uppercut
Established Contributor

@racer-x wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

Exactly.  I have high individual utilization and i received CLI's and new approvals....nice ones at that.

Would it be more accurate to say ' high utilization does not equal CLI's and approvals'?  No, because that's not what happened.  What happened see is, I have high utilization on individual accounts and I received great CLI"s and new approvals.  Again, I am right.  Sorry.  But my opinion cannot be swayed.  Thanks for trying.

I think the confusion/disagreement comes from the usage of the equal sign. High individual utilization does not equal good approvals. You have a strong mitigating factor in terms of low overall utilization percentage. If you did not, I don't think you'd see the same results. I think that was all he was trying to say. You're drawing a direct causation where there probably isn't one. That said, if it worked out for you that's great. I didn't see his response being nearly as snappish/cranky as yours.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.