Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Foreclosures

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Home Foreclosures

With all the foreclosures on homes, in the news at this time, I wondered what effect this has on a person's credit. How does it affect the Fico score ? How long will it remain on a persons credit history?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Home Foreclosures

Hi, Luci, welcome to the forums! I have moved your thread to General Credit, as it is dealing with the effect of foreclosure on credit scores and reports. You're right, it's all over the news these days, fighting for airtime with the stock market and the credit!

In the meantime, please read Credit Scoring 101. It's a great intro to what's on your reports, what makes up your scores, and how to improve both. The link is up at the top of this board, and also here:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=ficoscoring&thread.id=2654
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 5
fused
Moderator Emeritus

A foreclosure will usually have a MAJOR negative impact to scores...similar to a collection, charge-off, judgment or a lien. It can get even worse if the foreclosure is reporting as a derogatory trade line (instead of a public record) with an outstanding balance and late payments.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there any difference between an actual foreclosure on your credit report, and the remark "Foreclosure process started" with no late history?  Both are negative - but how much different?
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am curious about this, too. I had a rent house that went into the foreclosure process twice due to my renter not paying her rent. I pulled it out of the fire each time once I managed to collect rent and add on the legal fees. I sold the property 2 years ago. How bad does this still look on my credit report?
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.