cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hospitals Looking At Credit Report (AR Pull On Equifax)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Hospitals Looking At Credit Report (AR Pull On Equifax)

@Anonymous wrote:

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Never give your SSN to any medical office period! I realize there are other ways of them finding you and pulling your credit but it makes it harder at least.

Interesting, I didn't think I had a choice.  This request is usually near the top of every batch of paperwork at all doctors offices.  I am wondering if I should call them and ask them what they were looking for when they pulled my report?

It's your Social Security number, it's always your choice. I recently went to a new facility for an annual eye exam. Right after name & address it asked for DOB & Social Security #. In the waiting room I asked the clerk in a loud voice "Why in the world would you need my Social Security number?". The clerk just shrugged and replied "Then just put the last 4 digits". Instead I wrote on the space provided "Refuse to provide". I got my eye exam. My Primary Care Physician & Dentist also don't have my SS#. they dont' need it, and more files that have my name, address, DOB & SS#, the more places and opportunity a thief has to steal my identity..

+1 I have never run into any problems when I draw a slash through the SSN line, I don't confront them on why they want it because more than likely the grunt you are speaking to has now say as to what goes on the form. My reasoning for not providing is it tougher to send to collections in the event of a billing error, identity theft risk, and it's none of their business! 

I may do this the next time if at a different facility.  Most of my care is at the hospital that looked at my credit report so they already have the info.

I totally agree that these offices don't need a social security number as I am sure when they file insurance they could probably get it from the insurance company. 

Message 11 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@RobertEG wrote:

Extension of credit to a consumer is not the only permissible purpose granting a party the right to pull your credit report without first obtaining your express permission.

FCRA 604 also grants permissible purpose to a business if a consumer initiates a business transaction for which there is a reasonable business need to review the consumer's credit history as part of that business transaction.

When a consumer has the ability to end up with a debt owed to the business, even though the transaction does not involve the actual extension of monetary credit to the consumer, that is normally considered as a legitimate business purpose that extends permissible purpose.

Typical examples include apartment rental, utilities, cable, bank accounts, and medical service that is due when provided.  Obviously, if allowed to leave the doctor's office without paying in full, then the possibility exists for default on any bill sent to the consumer.

If as part of any business transaction the consumer signs authorization for credit pulls, then no issue of permissible purpose is thereafter relevant.

Express authorization provides ability to pull without any need to show a permissible purpose.

In the cited scenario, the hospital would have permissible purpose until the debt was paid in full.

Thereafter, the business transaction would no longer be pending completion, and thus no permissible purpose would continue.

Thus, if the hospital is continuing to make inquries after the debt is discharged, they would need express consumer authorization.

While I appreciate your explanation of FCRA 604,I disagree that being admitted to a hospital is "a business transaction for which there is a reasonable business need to review the consumer's credit history as part of that business transaction."

The The Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act, passed by Congress in 1986 and signed into law by President Reagan, requires hospital Emergency Departments that accept payments from Medicare to provide an appropriate medical screening examination (MSE) to individuals seeking treatment for a medical condition, regardless of citizenship, legal status, or ability to pay. Since 99.9% of hospitals accept payment from Medicare, they cannot consider ability to pay, and accordingly being admitted to one is not a "reasonable business need to review the consumer's credit history as part of that business transaction."

I won't give them my Social Security number and I won't sign n authorization to pull my credit.If they refuse to provide me care I'll see them in court.

I can see your point.  It would be interesting to see if this has been challenged anywhere in court.  

Message 12 of 13
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@mitchblue wrote:

I hadn't realized they could do that. That sucks. I'm glad I freeze my CR. I'd have a hissy fit.

I sure don't like it. Freezing is a good idea but I guess they have the info now. It would only stop furture requests.  If they would tell folks they are doing it and why I think it would be less suspicious.

I just want to point out that an AR is a soft-pull, so it isn't score-impacting in any case (in case others aren't clear on that).

I do share your concerns, though... I don't like giving mine out, either. 

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.