cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Housewife getting a credit card of her own?

tag
Mouseman

Housewife getting a credit card of her own?

Folks:

Here's the situation. My wife is a housewife. She's an AU on my credit cards, and her scores (being an AU on said cards) are: Transunion: 730, Equifax: 733, Experian: 747.

As said, she's AU on all my cards - but doesn't have any of her own. Considering the rules about to be implemented for AUs, I would like for her to get a card of her own. We already have an AMEX Gold, and I would like for her to get, say, an AMEX Blue - does anyone have any experience with a situation like this? Would it be OK if she applied as primary account holder, and as "source of income" specified "Spouse/Domestic partner" ?

Thanks for any tips/guidance

Mike

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Housewife getting a credit card of her own?

I don't think so. My wife seems to be able to get a credit card any time she wants. This, despite the fact she has horrific credit and no income. If your wife is responsible with credit then there shouldn't be a problem. If she's like mine, God help you. As far as what to list for her source of income I'd say with scores like that they won't much care.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I don't think so. My wife seems to be able to get a credit card any time she wants. This, despite the fact she has horrific credit and no income. If your wife is responsible with credit then there shouldn't be a problem. If she's like mine, God help you. As far as what to list for her source of income I'd say with scores like that they won't much care.

I agree 100%. My DW managed to rack up almost 20K of CC debt. She seems to be able to get all the credit she wants.
Message 3 of 6
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

I am in the process of making my wife a co-owner of all our cards.  Gives her real credit, and if I get run over by a bus she has that credit availble.

And I trust her, and everything else is in joint names
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 4 of 6
Mouseman

Wife applied for an AMEX Blue w/ cashback, got approved online with a 2,000 credit limit. Thanks to everybody who provided feedback ! Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 6
MercyMe
Frequent Contributor

Smiley Wink  For all who may be interested, many applications ask for household income, and are non-specific as to whose income it is.  The only creditor that wanted specifics when I was applying was BOA.  They asked for my personal income as well as the household income.  But they were the only ones.

:-mercy
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.