Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How DTI is calculated

tag
Slab
Frequent Contributor

How DTI is calculated

Can you let me know what is the best debt to income percentage and what all goes into the debt column? Do the lenders figure an amount for such monthly expenses as gasoline, food, utilities, phone service and other non-exact monthly expenditures or is it a combination of mortgage/rent, revolving and installment accounts?

Equifax FICO 781, Transunion FICO 821, Experian FICO 807,

810 goal on all three by 3-1-2015
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How DTI is calculated

My mortgage lender took my gross income and divided into that ALL reported minimum payments (as show on the CRs) and added to that anything self-admitted like non-reporting loans or payment arrangements (e.g. my rent). All of that was expressed as a percentage. Other expenses like utilities, cell, school tuition, gas, food, etc. were excluded along with any charge cards that required me to PIF (like my Amex).

Message 2 of 5
b_seeker
Frequent Contributor

36% or less is the healthiest debt load for the majority of people. Avoid incurring more debt to maintain a good ratio.

37%-42% isn't a bad place to be. If your ratio falls in this range, you should start reducing your debts.

43%-49% is a ratio that indicates likely financial trouble. Start paying your debts now to prevent an overloaded debt situation.

50% or more is a dangerous ratio. You should be aggressively paying off your debts. Don't hesitate to seek professional help.

I took those ranges from an article I was reading a few weeks ago about calculating DTI. As for calculating your DTI, it was explained pretty well above me.

|| Barclaycard Rewards Visa $5500 || AMEX BCE $2000 || Discover IT $3000 || Amazon Rewards Visa $1800 ||
|| Chase Freedom $2700 || CSP $5000 || Chase Marriott Premier $7500 || Sallie Mae MC $3800 ||

FICO Scores: EX 752 (3/13/13) || EQ 782 (10/4/13) || TU 724 (1/18/13)

In the garden as of 10/12/2013
Message 3 of 5
masscredit
Valued Contributor

So they only base it on reported minimum payments (credit cards and loans) along with rent but they don't take other expenses into consideration like utilities, food, clothes ect? Is it always based on that?
Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

SDFCU Secured - $5000 / TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 4 of 5
Quips
Regular Contributor

@masscredit wrote:
So they only base it on reported minimum payments (credit cards and loans) along with rent but they don't take other expenses into consideration like utilities, food, clothes ect? Is it always based on that?

Yes - everytime I have had my DTI calculated they took any minimum payments on debts reported on my CR's (mortgage, car loans, student loans, credit cards etc) and used that total plus any self reported items (rent) to calulcated total debt payments.

FICO: EQ 769, TU 762 , EX ???

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.