cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Do You Place A Freeze On All Three Credit Reports?

tag
Cory
Established Contributor

How Do You Place A Freeze On All Three Credit Reports?

Hello,

How do you go about placing a credit freeze on all three of your credit bureau reports?

Thanks for your information.

Cory

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How Do You Place A Freeze On All Three Credit Reports?

You have to all write to them individually and so the n we send you your code to un freeze it. But if it not related to ID theft then there will be a charge per month of ever time you place a freeze or un freeze it, it depends on the sate you are in.

Message 2 of 7
Cory
Established Contributor

What! Are you kidding me.

It's not ID theft. I will take another alternative route. Thank you for your prompt response bud!

Cory

Message 3 of 7
IOBA
Senior Contributor

I am not sure what your desired end result is...

Maybe "opting out" would be a solution?   It would prevent (theoretically) the CRA from selling your information to others.  I had to opt out twice before it took, despite having a confirmation number and a receipt from the first round of opting out.

Message 4 of 7
taun
Established Member

You can go directly to each bureau (TU, EXP, EQ) online and freeze your report.  If you're a victim of idenitfy theft, then it's free.  If not, you may have to pay depending on your state.  Each site will tell you whether or not you'll need to pay.

Message 5 of 7
fused
Moderator Emeritus

I froze my EX report in Feb 2009 and I haven't been paying any monthly fees.

Message 6 of 7
taun
Established Member

There shouldn't be a monthly fee, but there is a one time fee for most states.  Essentially, anytime you freeze or thaw, you pay a fee.  You can also do temporary thaws and designate a duration for the report to be re-frozen.  For example, my report with EQ is frozen, but I needed to refinance my house.  So I paid a fee to have a temporary thaw, long enough for them to run my credit (about 15 days), and then had the report frozen again afterwards.  So I only paid for the temporary thaw and then it was automatically frozen after the 15 days (you can designate however many days you need).  Being in California, I think it cost me between $10-$15 to do so.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.