Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Long Does a Repo Stay on Credit Report

tag
Tim_S
Regular Contributor

How Long Does a Repo Stay on Credit Report

I opened a car loan with Ally in 2006.  I had my car repo'd in 2009 and got caught up with payments and got the car back the next day.  I was never late again with another payment and the loan was paid off in 2011.  Experian and Trans Union deleted the entire account last year while Equifax still has it showing WITH the repo.  I filed a dispute with Equifax last month stating that the repo is greater than 7 years old.  Equifax temporarily removed the repo comments and my Fico 8 increased by 25 points while it was under dispute.  Equifax closed the dispute saying Ally verified the information and Equifax re-inserted the repo into my report and my Fico 8 dropped 75 points, (apparently it's counting against me now as a fresh repo).

I called Ally and they said they couldn't find my old account and it was no longer in their database, (then how did Ally verify the repo with Equifax?).  Ally said they would open a ticket and said if it's been greater than 7 years, they would forward the info to Equifax to have the repo removed from my report.  I also called Equifax who said the account stays for 10 years, (which I know that) but I was asking the repo part be removed.

Can anyone cite an actual law that states a repo must be removed after 7 years?  I've seen where late payments must be removed after 7 years but I can't find anything that says a repo must be removed but that's what I've always heard.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How Long Does a Repo Stay on Credit Report

Equifax is pretty stupid about this. Their rules are that the repo stays on your report either 7 years from the date of first delinquency or date of last activity. The reality is that if you had left your repo alone, it would have fallen off by now but since you did the right thing and redeemed it, it will stay on your credit report until 7 years from the date it was paid off which is what they consider the date of last activity. 

You'll probably need to file a complaint through the CFPB asking them to remove the negative reporting since it was 7 years ago. A letter from ALLY verifying this should be attached to your complaint along with the information showing the other two bureaus have removed the negative reporting.

Good luck and try not to pull your hair out.

Message 2 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Repos come in two flavors.  First are those that result in a loss to the creditor, which then becomes an account charged to profit and loss, or "subjected to any similar action," and second are those that are redeemed without any charge to profit and loss or similar action.

The first type of repo is governed by the credit report exclusion provisions of FCRA 605(a)(4) as modified by section 605(c), which is based on the DOFD, with an exclusion  of no longer than 7 years plus 180 days from the reported DOFD.  

The second type of repo is governed by the credit report exclusion provision of FCRA 605(a)(5).

A redeemed repo that is not charged-off or subjected to any similar action, such as auction of the vehicle that then results in some offset of the net loss, is not subject to the charge-off or similar action provisions of sections 605(a)(4) and 605(c).  Repossessions dont have their own, specific exclusion provision under any subsection of FCRA 605(a), and are thus covered under the catch-all provisions of section 605(a)(5), which covers "any other adverse item of information" not specifically listed under any other subsection of section 605(a).  The adverse item of information under subsection 605(a)(5) (i.e., the repo of the redeemed vehicle) must become excluded no later than 7 years from the date of occurence of the advere item.  

The "adverse item of information" at issue is the repo of the vehicle, NOT the repayment of the delinquent debt that permitted the redemption of the vehicle.

Thus the credit report exclusion of the redeemed repo would be 7 years from the date of their repo of the vehicle, and NOT the date that you made payment.

The account would remain absent any showing of the repo, and could then be subject to the housecleaning deletion by the CRA at ten years from its date of closing.

The failure to comply with FCRA 605(a)(5) can be handled by admin complaint to the CFPB or by bringing your own civil action against the CRA for their violation of FCRA 605(a)(5).

Message 3 of 4
Tim_S
Regular Contributor

Thank you RobertEG, I was hoping someone would have a definitive answer.  It's too bad Equifax isn't as knowledgable. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.