Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Many of you use Creditkarma?

tag
tattooedhusker
Established Contributor

Re: How Many of you use Creditkarma?

It's ok for what it is (a free monitoring option), but the scores are way off base. My CK score is 638 compared to MyFico TU of 670. I use it because it is fun and a free comparison to other products, but I don't pay any attention to any of the scores they use.

NFCU CashRewards $13.5k | AMEX BCE $15k | Lowes $17k | Sportsmanss guide $7.6k | Chase Freedom $1k | Discover IT $4.4k |
Walmart $8k | Gordman's $2950
Message 31 of 37
LoveGoodCredit
Frequent Contributor

Same with me, I use it to keep track of changes. Somehow for me CreditKarma is on track with  changes to reports, just not sc ores.

Starting Score:
August Equifax 558 TU 600 EX 570
Current Score: Equifax FICO 642 TU FICO662 EX 651 (credit.com) 06/21/2013
Goal Score: 720 All Across

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 32 of 37
jake619
Frequent Contributor

The CK FAKO is a joke. No secret there. The site is subsidized by the creditors. My theory is they artificially calculate low and then offer you subprime cards to placate the subprime creditors that are sponsoring CK. Why else would they FAKO so far off? They offered me "likely approved" low-end cards from Cap1 with a stupid high AF but then Amex rewards me with BCE? CK says 635. Amex would say no thanks to that. Anyways that's my theory. Can't think of a better explanation. Maybe others will correct me.

The other services are quite useful and for free you really can't complain.
Message 33 of 37
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@jake619 wrote:
The CK FAKO is a joke. No secret there. The site is subsidized by the creditors. My theory is they artificially calculate low and then offer you subprime cards to placate the subprime creditors that are sponsoring CK. Why else would they FAKO so far off? They offered me "likely approved" low-end cards from Cap1 with a stupid high AF but then Amex rewards me with BCE? CK says 635. Amex would say no thanks to that. Anyways that's my theory. Can't think of a better explanation. Maybe others will correct me.

The other services are quite useful and for free you really can't complain.

I'll offer an opposing viewpoint....when CK first started, all they offered was a TransRisk FAKO. This FAKO was used only by TransUnion and was available in their products including TrueCredit (back in the day). In other words, the FAKO came first before CK and their offers. Then later TU helped promote Vantage and changed most of their products to reflect that, and was later added to CK too.

Message 34 of 37
ktl72455
Valued Contributor

I use it. Its what I started useing when I decided to see where I stood credit wise. The scoring is off,  my vantage is higher by 3 points than my fico TU score. I dont worry about the auto.

Its not perfect but its free and I can see information that has helped me clean up my credit report and I didnt have to pay for it.

From MI.
12/4/12 TU 589 MyFico ~EQ 579 MyFico ~EX 577(Fako)

Myfico 8 scores
6/12/20 TU 803 ~ EQ 814~ Ex 784
My Wallet: Cap1 3,500K ~FH 2950~Credit One 1750~Credit one #2 1250~Orchard Bank 400 ~NFCU nRewards 18,000~NFCU Cash Rewards 18,500 ~Care Credit 12000~Discover 6000~Lowes 5450~ Amex 5400.00 ~ Harvest King 8000 ~ Langley~Penfed~Service CRU~red stone cru~
UTL 17%
Message 35 of 37

I use credit karma just for the monitoring of my TU report. The score can be way off at times so looking at items being removed or added is enough for me. Don't use the auto score and occasionally check the Vantage.

What's in my wallet: Barclay Extra Points NFL Card $1000
/Capital One secured $500/ JCPenney $500 Bank of America secured $300 Comenity Bank (Dots Fashion) $500

Starting Score: 12/2012 540 TU EXP 575
Current Score: 4/2013 TU 580 EXP 592 EQ 582 Quizzle 639 Credit Sesame 644 Vantage Score 620
Goal Score: 620 by 9/2013
700 across the board
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 36 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

I use it and I update it every day. I just like seeing numbers move around. I don't know why people always seem to report that their scores there are so much lower than their FICO. I have a 755 on CreditKarma, and although I am too cheap to pay to get my FICO, there is no way in hell that it is higher than the CK score. I would bet just about any amount of money on that. I'd guess my real score is closer to the PLUS score I get from Amex Credit Secure (paid for by my employer for those just about to ask why I'm not too cheap to pay for that), which is 698 or the score I was provided during my SmartCredit free trial last week, which is 648. For someone like me to have "excellent" credit is about as likely as the sun exploding in the next 10 minutes.

Message 37 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.