Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Mixed / Split Credit Files Happen and What to Do to Fix

tag
newportguy
Frequent Contributor

How Mixed / Split Credit Files Happen and What to Do to Fix

A mixed credit file means that another person's credit file has been merged with your credit file. This can cause all kinds of problems. You might be turned down for new credit, if this other person has bad credit. You might be delayed new credit until you can fix the problem and prove to the new lender that you are not responsible for all debt showing on your credit file.

Mixed files can result for a number of reasons.

1. You and your spouse apply for a mortgage loan, but when the loan officer pulled your credit reports he or she accidentally switched the social security numbers. They entered one spouse's number as actually belonging to the other spouse

2. You are a senior or junior living at the same address. If you do not use your full given name, the Credit Reporting Agency is not going to know the difference.

3. If someone tries to apply for new credit using your name or social security number mixed with their personal information.

4. Just having a common name, in this case it might be worth going to the court house and legally changing your name so that it is more unique.

How to fix:

1. You need to send in a written request for the Credit Reporting Agency to separate the mixed files.
a. Include full name
b. Include address
c. Include copy of drivers license
d. Include copy of social security number
e. Include copy of utility bill or phone bill

2. Find out from the Credit Reporting Agency how the file got mixed.
a. Contact the creditor responsible for the incorrect reporting and inform them of the correct information.
b. You may need to send identifying information to prove the accuracy of what you are telling them.

* Even if you fix a credit file once, it does not mean it won't happen again. I hear horror stories from consumers reporting of instances of having to repeatedly contact the Credit Reporting Agency to fix the problem over and over again.

It would be a non-issue if Credit Reporting Agencies used the social security number as the primary identification factor. But not everyone with a credit file has a social security number. So they are left with using zip codes, addresses, names, and then social security numbers. It is an imperfect system that can't be changed.

Split credit files are a different matter - that is when your credit file is missing data, it has been distributed over multiple numbers of reports.

Causes for split credit files:

1. You file is too large because you have generated a lot of credit activity.
2. You have been using a credit monitoring service and you have generated too many soft inquiries and as a result it split the credit file.

All you have to do is call the Credit Reporting Agency affected and point out your suspicion that the file may be split. They will remove the soft inquiries usually to make the file fit back together.

Knowing how these problems happen will save you a lot of headaches if you can catch them early and fix them before you find out too late after applying for new credit.

Current Score: myFico EQ - 794 ( 11/ 29/2012 ) amexFico EX - 787 (10/15/2012) myFico TU - 780 (11/29/2012) Credit Sesame - 809 (02/04/2013) Goal Score * 800 Club *
****** Garden Club Member -- Last HP Jan 3rd 2013 *******
*** Amex - BCP 10 K * PenFed - CR 5 K * Amex - GDSM 5 K *
Discover - IT 5 K ***** NO MORE APPS FOR ME IN 2013 *****
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
newportguy
Frequent Contributor

Re: How Mixed / Split Credit Files Happen and What to Do to Fix

I  am posting this info and hope it helps someone who needs it .......

Current Score: myFico EQ - 794 ( 11/ 29/2012 ) amexFico EX - 787 (10/15/2012) myFico TU - 780 (11/29/2012) Credit Sesame - 809 (02/04/2013) Goal Score * 800 Club *
Message 2 of 14
QAMngrGirl
Frequent Contributor

2 questions

1. How do you know if your file is split?

2. How many SPs ist too many? Smiley Sad

Message 3 of 14
newportguy
Frequent Contributor

@QAMngrGirl wrote:

2 questions

1. How do you know if your file is split? 

2. How many SPs ist too many? Smiley Sad

#1   A split file means you have 2 files on record and it can cause all kinds of problems.... missing data (accounts)  , not being able to view your file, denied credit ..ETC

# 2 i don't know the answer to that ,depends on how much data you have in your file

Message 4 of 14
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Item 3  I am confused can you give an exampl?.. Keep in mind when the bureau search ofr your credit the use name address, prvious address social secuity number age or date of birth and generation code.

A better definition of a spilt ifile is when your credit report is pulled and not all of your credit reports.

Edited to remove and add information

In the how to fix section  it is better to use method 2 first then method 1.

Causes of split file section item 1 will not cause a split file in and of itself there are other factors that are more likely the cause not large amout of credit activity or credit. Item 2 will not cause a split file because all the inquiries are on one file.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash+ 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 C State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Quorum FCU State Department FCU State Department FCU Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 5 of 14
newportguy
Frequent Contributor

How i knew i had a mixed file , I had accounts not showing in my file.... Took me months of calling over and over to TU to get it fixed and them telling me it was nothing they could do . I finally got a guy that knew what to do and it took him less than 5 mins to get it fixed

Message 6 of 14
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

I agree on your causes. Those who see have larger credit files tend to have a higher risk of a split file. That's evident by some examples in here. I also agree on #2. There are several examples in here of EQ CSRs removing the softs off the credit profile first before merging the data together. It was the softs on a limited computer file size that led to the split, which was exacerbated by the number of softs from CMSs.

I would also add a #3....a dispute. There are recorded examples in here of split files after a dispute was initiated. Now whether that was due to the added soft or the dispute triggered something, it can happen.

Message 7 of 14
newportguy
Frequent Contributor

@llecs wrote:

I agree on your causes. Those who see have larger credit files tend to have a higher risk of a split file. That's evident by some examples in here. I also agree on #2. There are several examples in here of EQ CSRs removing the softs off the credit profile first before merging the data together. It was the softs on a limited computer file size that led to the split, which was exacerbated by the number of softs from CMSs.

I would also add a #3....a dispute. There are recorded examples in here of split files after a dispute was initiated. Now whether that was due to the added soft or the dispute triggered something, it can happen.

# 3 is a mixed credit file not a split credit file ........... I posted both mixed (which is the top half ) and Split credit file ( which is at the end)

Message 8 of 14
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

No, I've seen split files caused by initiating a dispute, on EQ anyway.

Message 9 of 14
newportguy
Frequent Contributor

@llecs wrote:

No, I've seen split files caused by initiating a dispute, on EQ anyway.

interesting ...... I know it can be a pain when  it happens

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.