Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How about Student Loans?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How about Student Loans?

Hi!  I am a new member who is wanting to get my credit in to fit shape to start house shopping in the next year.  But, I was wondering how does student loan debt of over $30,000 look on your credit report and score when applying for a home loan?  I have the rest of my debt in check.  No crazy credit card debt.  A good payment history ( except for a 7 month issue of paying $12 less on a card per month accidentally).  The student loans are in good shape no missed payments. 
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Minnie
Contributor

Re: How about Student Loans?

Hi! I am also a new member, but, what what I've learned here, the way your loans will affect you is just as part of your overall debt-to-income ratio, which lenders use to decide how much to loan you. Because you don't have any late payments on anything, your FICO score should be in good shape to get you good rates on your mortgage. As always, you should check your report to make sure you know what is in it -- you never know if there will be an error.
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How about Student Loans?

Thank You.  I am thinking that subscribing to one of these credit monitering packages may be good, but am confused at which one is best for me.  I am already a credit fraud victome, so should I get the credit alert package or the basic package.  And which credit agency is it best to have the scores from.  Hope I am not asking too many questions.  Thank You for the advice above.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.