Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How accurate is CreditKarma?

tag
LindaLu
Regular Contributor

How accurate is CreditKarma?

I just started using credit karma and I was wondering how accurate it is.  Everything matched up on it with the report card it shows but it actually showed my utilization and available credit alot less than it really is..like 30 to 40% less.  Would there be any reason why?  I know it pulls transunion.  I checked transunion and all my balances are up to date.  But I recently applied for a credit card that I thought was denied because I haven't heard anything yet and wondered if maybe it was approved and brought down the utilization.  Just wanted to know if anyone was familiary with how accurate creditkarma is.

thanks

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How accurate is CreditKarma?

Personally, I have always found it to be within a point or two of the true FICO score.
Message 2 of 17
score_building
Senior Contributor

CK provides a FAKO so any resemblance to a real FICO score report is coincidental. 

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 3 of 17
knightimer
Established Member

I am off by 20 points. Credit Karma states a higher score.
TransUnion 778 Date: 11/04/2011
Equifax 773 Date:1/08/2010
Experian 782 Date:11/15/2011 PESCU
Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

mine is off by 50 points. CK score seems to always match my score from Truecredit. Well at least b4 i canceled Truecredit.
Message 5 of 17
LindaLu
Regular Contributor

I did find that the score on creditkarma is only a few points higher that my actual fico..but what do you guys think about the utilization being lower than it should be?  has anyone else checked their report card on credit karma and found this discrepency? or could it be from a recent new credit card account that I didn't think was approved? I don't have a problem with it being lower I am just wondering if it accurate or if it is due a new account I maybe haven't received notice of approval yet.

thanks for any info.

Message 6 of 17
DI
Super Contributor

Credit Karma is not accurate at all, but it can be used as a free credit watch.  CK obtains a TU report.  CK says my score is 695 while I have a TU FICO of 771.  That's a big difference.
Message 7 of 17
jennordy
New Contributor

My CK score is 100 points HIGHER than my Fico.  UGH.
FICO® 8 Scores: 10/16: TU 592 -- EQ 579 -- EX 573; 11/16: TU 626 -- EQ 614 -- EX 605; 12/16: TU 606 -- EQ 589 -- EX 594
FICO® Mortgage Scores: 10/16: TU 588 -- EQ 567 -- EX 566
10/16: Negatives: 10 charge-offs; 7 collections (one "closed"); 1 Ch. 7 BK (filed 12/2008)
Positives: 2 Cap1s; Nordstrom; 4 Comenity store cards; Amazon store card, Care Credit, 76 gas card, and F21 Visa; 2 student loans
Message 8 of 17
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

FAKOs people, fakos. Please take these scores with a grain of salt. As an earlier poster stated, any resemblance to your FICO is purely coincidental.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 849
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

My CK score is 674. I apllied for a home loan and was told by my lender my score is 740. Thats a big difference. Lenders usually go with the middle score of the 3 bureaus.
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.