Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How bad did I ding my credit score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How bad did I ding my credit score?

I had a 780 FICO and recently I let a bill laspe past 90 days and it was reported as late to the reporting agencies. Other than this iincident my payments were always on time and i keep a low CC balance under $500. I paid the bill it and it shows paid but how much of a drop in my score will I see from this goof? I haven't had my score checked since this happened.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
lizabeth
Contributor

Re: How bad did I ding my credit score?

hey my score dropped an insane 33 (yes, thirty three) points today from a 35 day late from my school loan. im still scratching my head as to whether this is the norm amount.  good luck to you! eeeks.
Message 2 of 6
marty56
Super Contributor

I would contact the CCC and see if you could GW the late.  You might try the score simulator to see what is shows or just wait till it reports and pull your score.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunatley the higher your score the harder it will fall.  With a 780 you are held above other people with lower scores so when something so uncharacteristic of your score happens you get socked....

I really think this should be the other way around!
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just dropped 3 points today myself. Smiley Sad
Message 5 of 6
fused
Moderator Emeritus

westcoastnative wrote:
I had a 780 FICO and recently I let a bill laspe past 90 days and it was reported as late to the reporting agencies. Other than this iincident my payments were always on time and i keep a low CC balance under $500. I paid the bill it and it shows paid but how much of a drop in my score will I see from this goof? I haven't had my score checked since this happened.

Hi and welcome to myFICO fora! With your excellent score of 780, I would expect a major drop in your score. Sadly, 90 days lates are considered to be a serious derogatory on a credit report, and they can be just as damaging as a collection, charge-off, public record, repo or a foreclosure. If I had to guess, your score could drop below 700. The good news is after two years, this 90 day late will have less of a negative affect to your score. I suggest you read the credit scoring 101 thread in my sig line. You will find a link to writing GW (goodwill) letters asking your creditor to remove this 90-day late. Good Luck!
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.