Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How big is the credit inquiry window?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How big is the credit inquiry window?

I did some auto loan shopping and settled but while I was doing that I only focused on that! I figured it would be a good time to also open a new credit card or two since I already "spent" the inquiry.  But I don't want it ot count as a new inquiry! So if anyone could tell me how long the window is that would help a ton!  I think I have heard a month or two weeks, but that could easily be wrong! 

I also tried searching for this because I am sure it is here somewhere but I just couldn't find it, my wording is probably different!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How big is the credit inquiry window?

Unless you are dealing with the same lender who gave you the auto loan, it will be a new inquiry. Even then, most lenders will still do a separate inquiry. If it is a separate lender, it will absolutely be a new inquiry every time you apply.
Message 2 of 6
empiror22
Regular Contributor

I think OP is confused about how the inquiries work for credit overall. In general each credit card is 1 pull. So in general you can't use 1 pull for lets say a bank of america card, then also use that same pull for capital one and then use same pull for say a auto loan with DCU. These would each have their own pulls and may each have multiple pulls for 1 product.
Now if your looking at rate shopping, ( where multiple pulls are seen as basically 1 pull) the time line is something like 2 weeks. I personally have sent as long as 10 days. Some others may have better experiences/advice.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was under the impression that if multiple pulls were done within a certain window of time then they would only take a hit onto your credit score as it just being one single pull. This was the basis for checking with serveral lenders when getting a loan.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think what you're referring to is pretty specific to auto loans. With auto (and I think mortgage) several inquiries within a given time span only count as one because the CRA's understand that you're shopping around. 

Message 5 of 6
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

The inquiry rollup is explicit to inquiries within a given period (2 weeks FICO 98, 45 for FICO 04 and 8 according to TU disclosures) for mortgage, auto, and student loans and the last one is not well documented.

Inquiries which aren't coded as such (all credit card applications) will not fall under this and will count individually.

        
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.