cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I get a rapid rescore when trying to rent an apartment?

tag
elsullivan

How can I get a rapid rescore when trying to rent an apartment?

I am selling my apartment and plan to use some of the proceeds to pay off all my credit card debt. Then I need to rent an apartment almost immediately after that. How can I get a rapid resore done before a credit report is pulled for my rental application? I won't be dealing with a lender. What should I do?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
john398
Senior Contributor

Re: How can I get a rapid rescore when trying to rent an apartment?

Usually people renting apartments don't care too much about utilization, you must be selling a condo...as long as no baddies as far as utilities or mortgages , I think you will be ok

Message 2 of 8
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

+1

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 3 of 8
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@john398 wrote:

Usually people renting apartments don't care too much about utilization, you must be selling a condo...as long as no baddies as far as utilities or mortgages , I think you will be ok

+1....  The credit report for renting an apartment looks for collections and chargoffs..  major derogs.   You should be fine if your only problem is utilization

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 4 of 8
TheConductor
Established Contributor

+1 to the above.  In addition, many of the corporate apartment building chains will accept borderline tenants without a cosigner if they just add an additional half- or full-month rent to their security deposit.

Worst comes to worst, you can always get a discounted 1-month rate at one of those extended stay hotels, giving you an extra month for your report to smooth out and for you to find an apartment you really like.

So don't sweat the rescoring...just focus on selling your current property and the rest should fall into place.

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 5 of 8
elsullivan

Thanks  everyone for the advice. It's my first time on the forum and it's been very helpful so far.

Message 6 of 8
Chadsnana
Valued Member

A rapid rescore is not necessary. Most non-corporate landlords do not run credit. They are most likely to verify your employment or check your references. I am a landlord. Here is what I do: I review the application and collect a check to run credit-but rarely do. If they do not want me to run credit then I know there are issues and most likely, they tell me at that point. It is not all that helpful to run a credit check. Instead, I follow the applicant out to their car. The inside condition of their car tells me how they will maintain the inside of my apartment (try this with our coworkers-if their car is a disgusting mess, so is their house, and most likely their financial situation too) and I check to see if they have current tags on their car. Deadbeats do not care about expired tags. People with expired tags are more likely to ignore your phone call and fail to open their mail.  Running credit is not all that helpful because even people with poor credit will often pay their rent on time. If they had perfect credit and high income they would not be renting from me.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/2760iB9166C1A493A3CBC/
Message 7 of 8
Cesarlopez
Established Member

Right now in most metro areas it's a landlords market. I hear horror stories everyday of people renting foreclosed homes and getting evicted. If you are worried about your credit score and find an availible apartment with good management then ask them for their criteria. They should have printed criteria so that you are aware what would possible disqualify you from being approved. If your only worry is your credit score then waiting a month might be a huge benefit to you. Depending on where you live you might even get a special by signing a lease in November or December.

Remember to follow the manager out to his or her car though. If their car is dirty then they might be a slum lord. Smiley Happy lol

CAP1 Venture $3k & No Hassel $750 / Discover More 2.5k / AMEX ZYNC NPSL & Delta 2k / FirstTech CU Visa 2k / USAA AMEX 1k / Sam's 2.2k / Amazon 1.9k / Walmart $800 /
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.