Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How come people have late payments?

tag
Kendro
Contributor

How come people have late payments?

I'm not posting to sound condescending, I am genuinely curious.  I often see posts where people ask the OP if they have any negatives and some respond saying they have a 30 or 60 day late payment.  Is it because they don't want to make the minimum payments or do they genuinely forget?  Or did you pay on time but due to a system glitch the payment never got processed?

Thankfully 3 of my 4 credit cards all have their statements cut on the same day so I knock all 3 payments in one shot and my other card is pretty much in the sock drawer.  I haven't missed a payment in 8 years (though I did mess up quite a bit in college but thankfully all of those negatives fell off my reports).

Again, this isn't to sound condescending, my question is completely genuine.  I guess I'm worried that if anyone could have a late payment, it could also happen to me.

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
payingoffdebt001
Frequent Contributor

Re: How come people have late payments?

There's probably many reasons...but lots of folks are on here re-building from past mistakes as you made as a college student.  All ages and reasons exist. 

It would be a good practice for everyone to verify a payment did go through by going online or via the automated phone system. 

Message 2 of 27
tcbofade
Super Contributor

...or they ran out of money before they ran out of month....

Don't laugh...it happens...

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 3 of 27
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

@tcbofade wrote:

...or they ran out of money before they ran out of month....

Don't laugh...it happens...

LOL - but seriously, some people are over extended from other household bills, i.e food, gas, etc. and they simply do not place a high priority on certain payments. With some accounts, as soon as you miss a payment, you incur late fees, etc. if you are already on the edge ( financially), the fees may really put things out of reach. With unemployment/underemployment, and the economy as it has been, sometimes you really cannot afford things that were no problem a year or two ago, because you financial circumstances have changed. For others, they may even have the money, but underestimate the effect the late payments will have on them down the line. I remember a friend of mine who owed the gas co. A bill (more than he could afford), so he made a payment arrangement, to pay a certain amount by a certain date. He proceeded to miss the first payment by a day or two, and was absolutely shocked when they cut off his gas service in the dead of winter.

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 786; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Message 4 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am in the rebuilding stage now, but my late payments are because I honestly missed a payment on my car note. Sounds silly and irrespondible but when you are pregnant, you can become very forgetful LOL!! Anyway, I missed a payment and sent the following months payment on time (still not realizing I was behind), before I knew it, there were a string of 31 -32 day late payments on my report.
Before that mishap, I financed 4 other cars with zero late payments so it happens.

I have enrolled in auto-pay since LOL!
Message 5 of 27
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

@Kendro wrote:

I'm not posting to sound condescending, I am genuinely curious.  I often see posts where people ask the OP if they have any negatives and some respond saying they have a 30 or 60 day late payment.  Is it because they don't want to make the minimum payments or do they genuinely forget?  Or did you pay on time but due to a system glitch the payment never got processed?

i doubt paying a bill a few days late will cause a 30 day late to report cause tech its not 30 days late. it may result in apr increase but not a late to report. to anwer you main question, if someone had a really high balance say 10,000 and the min payment due was 200 and they couldnt make ends meet until the following month well that will result in a 30 day late.

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 6 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I understand where you are coming from. I once had a late payment due to a system glitch but it was never reported. Otherwise I have never had a late payment. I can understand how people would though. Sometimes things get rough and one has to decide what gets paid...

Message 7 of 27
Mailak
Frequent Contributor

I once forgot to pay my Verizon phone-internet bill - maybe 5 years ago. I was kicking myself because I was quite careful in paying bills but I just forgot and didn't notice till I was billed double the amount the next month.

PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards (19.5k), Amex BCE (9k), Chase Sapphire Reserve (30k), Chase Freedom Unlimited (14.5k), Chase Marriott Premier (19k), Discover More (10k)
Message 8 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have genuinely forgotten before and sometimes we have other worries. I've had a 90 day late payment before on a Household Bank card that I hadn't used for over a year and didn't realize until my son found out once he set me up with PageOnce. that PageOnce thing has been great, it tells you when your bills are due. That is if you know the bill exists and put it in there though! Some people have families, kids to worry about, just we forget sometimes.

Message 9 of 27
Mike360
Frequent Contributor

Well i have 4 30 day(s) late on my report and they date back like 4 years ago. I had problems at that time because i lost my job and i had other bills that were a priority over my credit cards. Unemployment benefits for me just weren't enough to pay everything. I've since learned to pay off all my CC's monthly and only carry balance on 0% stuff and not to over spend my budget.

Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.