Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How come people have late payments?

tag
amkari
New Contributor

Re: How come people have late payments?

Priorities...

... when you're 6 months pregnant and get laid off due to the economy's affect on the 6 businesses you manage

... when it takes 6 months to get unemployment started because California is a disaster zone for anything financial

... when you have to decide between feeding yourself and your 8 yr old, paying the rent, paying the utilities, and paying the credit cards.

.... rent and utilities took the entire $1500/mo unemployment and I couldn't get out of the lease.  Thank God for food stamps and Medi-Cal at the time.

Even now, when I'm working a full time job again... shelter, food, and transportation are the top 3 priorities.  Until they're paid, nothing else gets paid.

Life was easier at $50k per year... If I hadn't been laid off for 1.5 yrs and had to figure out how to survive on a very tight budget I'd never be able to make it on my $29k salary now.

Mar 2012: 03/31/2012 - FICO EX 599 (auto loan pull) EQ 593 TU 602)
Oct 2012: 10/25/2012 - EX (tenant screening) 655 - EQ (myfico.com) 641 - TU (myfico.com) 622
Aug 2020: FICO 8: EQ 690, TU 685, EX 688
700s or Bust!
Message 21 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mine all happened in 2010 ... great job, never late, etc then BAM ... company closed down (2009) immediately after signing a new lease and a new car.  I had savings to tie me over for about 9 months.  Unfortunately, it took 18 months to land a new job.  Ugh  Fortunately, I was able to turn in the car although I paid a bit to balance the loan for payoff.  After, they (my little CU) deleted the tradeline ... never even knew what that meant until recently.  Spent the last that I had and sucked up a bit of debt but moved from the East coast to the West coast and am now getting back on track.  That ... was ... rough.  But I'm single / no children so I could only imagine how stressful that type of situation is.

Thank goodness for GWs!

Message 22 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@drkaje wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Good Point and I'm not saying that this is the case all the time but I would have to put a high percentage of divorce default on the man!  Not always but most of the time!

It was just stupidity. Was trying to keep work stuff together, forgot to do a change of address, and really didn't think their calling to be paid over the phone was a huge deal, LOL! Wasn't really credit-educated and would have never let a payment go late knowing it would hang out 7 years. One last late payment falls off in a few days and all three reports will be perfect.

Most of the guys I've met were financially better off divorced. My Ex is still messing up her finances. Not having to deal with it is a relief. Smiley Happy

I agree with you there, I'm 100% better off.  Yes my practice wife also has no idea and has several issues with finances, of course it's always my fault, and I've been divorced for like 5 years haha!!!

Message 23 of 27
marty56
Super Contributor

In my case it was I paid less then the minimum due for 6 months or so while in a DMP program.  I did not know that the amount due each month had changed.  My bad but if I had looked at the statement more carefully I would have know that.

IMHO most people don't intend to pay late, either by lack of money or just forgetting so I think this question would bother people. 

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 24 of 27
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

My ex husband cleaned out our joint account. He had maxed out all the cards without me knowing. They were in my name. I was in grad school. It took 3 months of therapy. And some meds before I could get back on my feet. Nothing got paid for.those three months. Luckily I was able to call creditors and get payments in after i got a new job. Nothing was charged off. I called their csrs and basically begged for them to remove lates. They actually did and this was in 2006. Gw letters weren't really around then.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 25 of 27
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

I have late payments from being in my 20s and not caring about my future or the trouble it could get me into. Now im in my 30s and im paying for it.

Its not that I didn't have the money, its that I just didn't care. Im going to be getting closer to 40 before I have perfect credit.

Message 26 of 27
marty56
Super Contributor

@tooleman694 wrote:

I have late payments from being in my 20s and not caring about my future or the trouble it could get me into. Now im in my 30s and im paying for it.

Its not that I didn't have the money, its that I just didn't care. Im going to be getting closer to 40 before I have perfect credit.

It took me almost to 56 to have almost perfect credit.  Keep the faith.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.