New Contributor
amkari

Re: How come people have late payments?

Priorities...

... when you're 6 months pregnant and get laid off due to the economy's affect on the 6 businesses you manage

... when it takes 6 months to get unemployment started because California is a disaster zone for anything financial

... when you have to decide between feeding yourself and your 8 yr old, paying the rent, paying the utilities, and paying the credit cards.

.... rent and utilities took the entire $1500/mo unemployment and I couldn't get out of the lease.  Thank God for food stamps and Medi-Cal at the time.

Even now, when I'm working a full time job again... shelter, food, and transportation are the top 3 priorities.  Until they're paid, nothing else gets paid.

Life was easier at $50k per year... If I hadn't been laid off for 1.5 yrs and had to figure out how to survive on a very tight budget I'd never be able to make it on my $29k salary now.

Starting Score: 03/31/2012 - FICO EX 599 (auto loan pull) EQ 593 TU 602)
Current Score: 10/25/2012 - EX (tenant screening) 655 - EQ (myfico.com) 641 - TU (myfico.com) 622
Goal Score: We’ll start with 650 across the board 

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Regular Contributor
ApexdvToo

Mine all happened in 2010 ... great job, never late, etc then BAM ... company closed down (2009) immediately after signing a new lease and a new car.  I had savings to tie me over for about 9 months.  Unfortunately, it took 18 months to land a new job.  Ugh  Fortunately, I was able to turn in the car although I paid a bit to balance the loan for payoff.  After, they (my little CU) deleted the tradeline ... never even knew what that meant until recently.  Spent the last that I had and sucked up a bit of debt but moved from the East coast to the West coast and am now getting back on track.  That ... was ... rough.  But I'm single / no children so I could only imagine how stressful that type of situation is.

Thank goodness for GWs!

Starting Score 4/15/2012:579 Ex-FAKO, 572 Eq-FAKO, 546 TU-FAKO (all were sub-500 in 2011)
FICO as of 3/08/2013: 627 EQ, 647 TU
FAKO as of 3/23/2013: 638 EX, 652 EQ, 648 TU
Goal 1: 600 FICO achieved 10/2012!, Goal 2: 650 FICO Across the Board - Let's take Baby-Steps!
**Amex Optima $1.3k, GE/CareCredit $1k, CapOne Secured $900, Barclaycard Rewards $500, CapOne Rewards $500, Citi/Shell $200**
Seedling Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/18/2013 - Goal: No apps for One Year: 3/18/2014
Frequent Contributor
BigDaddy18

drkaje wrote:

BigDaddy18 wrote:

Good Point and I'm not saying that this is the case all the time but I would have to put a high percentage of divorce default on the man!  Not always but most of the time!

It was just stupidity. Was trying to keep work stuff together, forgot to do a change of address, and really didn't think their calling to be paid over the phone was a huge deal, LOL! Wasn't really credit-educated and would have never let a payment go late knowing it would hang out 7 years. One last late payment falls off in a few days and all three reports will be perfect.

Most of the guys I've met were financially better off divorced. My Ex is still messing up her finances. Not having to deal with it is a relief. :smileyhappy:

I agree with you there, I'm 100% better off.  Yes my practice wife also has no idea and has several issues with finances, of course it's always my fault, and I've been divorced for like 5 years haha!!!

Starting Score: EQ FICO 777
Current Score: EQ FICO 803
Goal Score: EQ FICO 810

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Super Contributor
marty56

In my case it was I paid less then the minimum due for 6 months or so while in a DMP program.  I did not know that the amount due each month had changed.  My bad but if I had looked at the statement more carefully I would have know that.

IMHO most people don't intend to pay late, either by lack of money or just forgetting so I think this question would bother people. 

11/28/2014 FICO: EQ: 796 EX:788 TU:803
Moderator Emeritus
webhopper

[ Edited ]

My ex husband cleaned out our joint account. He had maxed out all the cards without me knowing. They were in my name. I was in grad school. It took 3 months of therapy. And some meds before I could get back on my feet. Nothing got paid for.those three months. Luckily I was able to call creditors and get payments in after i got a new job. Nothing was charged off. I called their csrs and basically begged for them to remove lates. They actually did and this was in 2006. Gw letters weren't really around then.

Starting Score: 08/29/2011 TU 671 EQ 674
Current Score: TU 754 EQ 694 EX 697
Wallet: NFCU Visa Sig 25k, Amex Lowes 22k, NavCheck 15k, Amex PRG, Amex Zync, Discover It 13.5k, Amazon Visa 5k
Platinum Spade Garden Club Member: App Free since 1/1/13. No more apps til who knows when?
MyFICO Fitness Goal: 800s Club!

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Contributor
tooleman694

I have late payments from being in my 20s and not caring about my future or the trouble it could get me into. Now im in my 30s and im paying for it.

Its not that I didn't have the money, its that I just didn't care. Im going to be getting closer to 40 before I have perfect credit.

Super Contributor
marty56

tooleman694 wrote:

I have late payments from being in my 20s and not caring about my future or the trouble it could get me into. Now im in my 30s and im paying for it.

Its not that I didn't have the money, its that I just didn't care. Im going to be getting closer to 40 before I have perfect credit.

It took me almost to 56 to have almost perfect credit.  Keep the faith.

11/28/2014 FICO: EQ: 796 EX:788 TU:803

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}