cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How did I get approved for two Amex and not penfed??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How did I get approved for two Amex and not penfed??

Penfed even after changes a year or so ago is still a far, far more conservative lender than Amex.  Actually of the commonly discussed lenders on this forum Penfed probably still reigns supreme with the title of most conservative, though there are some more difficult products now to qualify for than anything Penfed offers to my understanding.

Amex really isn't conservative at all in their UW decisions, and that's been the case since roughly mid 2012 based on a wealth of anecdotal application data (who got approved for what).  

        
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

What was the denial reason with PenFed?

Message 3 of 4
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

No idea without more information from you.  You cannot just assume that an approval with X means that you should be approved with Y.  Different creditors and products can have different underwriting requirements.  Additionally your credit isn't static.  When you apply you incur hard pulls.  Typically hard pulls have a small impact but they can be a bigger deal for those with thin credit profiles and/or profiles with issues.

The denial reason(s) are the place to start if you can't tell by looking at your own reports.  PenFed can be very selective and tends to cite "pyramiding debt" for those that have opened what it deems as too many new accounts (how many can depend on the shape of one's credit profile) prior to the application with PenFed.

Don't overlook prior discussions.  PenFed is a relative common topic.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&es_th=1&ie=UTF-8#q=penfed%20denial%20site%3Aficoforums.myfico.com

Were the AmEx cards the Green and the Delta Gold?  These cards are generally regarded as some of the easier ones to qualify for with AmEx.  If you want additional feedback we would need more information.  Did you app for the AmEx cards before PenFed?  That recent activity could have been a concern for your credit profile as far as PenFed was concerned.  Do your have any other recent accounts?  What's your credit profile like?  The UMPE limit is pretty good but others are low, indicating that there may be concerns with your credit profile even with creditors that approved you.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.