cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I change personal info on a report?

tag
BM3
Regular Contributor

How do I change personal info on a report?

My capital one credit report shows an address I lived at 5 addresses ago. And a job I had 13 years ago. Does this stuff matter? How do I go about changing it, and if self employed, is that better, or maybe leave it blank? Where do i even change this stuff?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How do I change personal info on a report?

If you update your address on all your active accounts, it should reflect that in your reports. If not, first contact your lenders to make sure that they are reporting your new address. Second, you can call up each bureau to dispute the information. They may require you to show proof of address if they are not getting this information of a change of adress from your lenders.

One question...when you say Capital One, do you mean the report that is pulled from Capital One's Credit Wise? If that is the case, then this is your TransUnion credit report. Capital One is not a credit bureau, it is a lender that has a partnership with TransUnion to provide you this information weekly at no charge.

To answer your other question, it shows less risk to be employed than self-employed. If you are in fact self-employed, you should not lie on an application and you don't have the option to omit that information. If your lenders report the employment information you provided on your application, the bureaus will update this and it will reflect on your report.

Message 2 of 8
BM3
Regular Contributor

Yes its Capital one's TU. I don't know why the adress is from so long ago when I had other cards at other adresses since.

So you're saying your job matters? Mine has dominos pizza driver on it, great.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is your current address reporting as well? If so, your old addresses will still remain on your report as previous adresses. If not, follow the steps I put in my previous post.

As for the job...unless your application goes into manual review, it shouldn't matter what your title is as the computer should only look at your reported income as part of its decision.

Message 4 of 8
BM3
Regular Contributor

Where would they get the annual income number? From the application?  What if they are different across applications?

I looked at my reports - eq shows current address, no employer.  TU doesnt show current address, shows a very old employer.  My TU is higher so I should ask them to put the current address. 

Message 5 of 8
thornback
Senior Contributor

You can simply mail a letter to the bureaus along with a copy of your ID (DL or State) requesting they update your current address.   Employment doesn't matter for the credit report (only for credit applications) -  the previous employer listed on my reports is from nearly 20 years ago and the current employer line item says "none reported".   Obviously, when I apply for credit, I list my employer and income.  No creditor has ever denied credit because a current employer was not listed on my credit report - even upon manual review.  But, you could probably request they update that to reflect "self-employed" (though delivering for Dominos isn't truly "self-employed", right?) if you feel you must have something there -- or, just leave it blank.

wrote:

My capital one credit report shows an address I lived at 5 addresses ago. And a job I had 13 years ago. Does this stuff matter? How do I go about changing it, and if self employed, is that better, or maybe leave it blank? Where do i even change this stuff?

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 6 of 8
BM3
Regular Contributor

"  Obviously, when I apply for credit, I list my employer and income."

I've gotten 50k in credit (and lines) and I've never listed an employer anywhere or was asked about it?

I don't have any id's with current address, I have some mail going to that address only. maybe updating at the post office would work for the agencies.

and I'm not sure why it wasn't clear - Dominos job was 10+ years ago, that's why I was concerned it was hamstringing me.

Message 7 of 8
thornback
Senior Contributor

Apologies,  you were perfectly clear with regards to your work history. I was reading from my mobile at the time and, apparently, confused your post with the other poster - I didn't realize you were the one that said "13 years ago".    No need to be snappy, I was only trying to help. 

"Obviously, when I apply for credit, I list my employer and income."  -- Yea, well I tend to lump both credit cards/lines and installment loans into the "credit" category.  When I have applied for loans, I've been asked to list / verify my employer and income.  When I've applied for credit cards/lines, it requires income only.  Perhaps, I should have been more clear in my statement.   Again, no need to be snappy. 

I doubt updating with the post office will prompt updating at the bureaus.  Usually, it's a request that needs to be made by the consumer, or occurs due to updated information provided by a data furnisher.  You can try making the request without providing ID -- but there is a chance they will request some proof of residency -- a utility bill + passport (if you have one) would work.   

wrote:

"  Obviously, when I apply for credit, I list my employer and income."

I've gotten 50k in credit (and lines) and I've never listed an employer anywhere or was asked about it?

I don't have any id's with current address, I have some mail going to that address only. maybe updating at the post office would work for the agencies.

and I'm not sure why it wasn't clear - Dominos job was 10+ years ago, that's why I was concerned it was hamstringing me.

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.