Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get started?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How do I get started?

Hello,

I just joined the forum.  I have had some financial issues and family situations that have led to credit problems and a low FICO scores.   I have some old collections from several years back, that have been charged off and are reported as closed accounts on my credit report, but they still have a balance.  I have a couple of more recent ones from early last year, also.  No open credit cards.

How do I get started repairing my credit?  With this being the new year, I will have some $ to use.  My questions are:

- Do I pay down on all of them simultaneously or do I pay some off completely?
- If the latter is the answer, do I pay the most recent ones first? 
- I read about the PDF letter.  It says specifically that the debt is disputed.  Should I tweak the letter if I don't dispute the debt. 
- Some items on the report are being reported by both the original creditor and the collection agency.  It appears that even though the original creditor has fallen off my report, the collection agency is on there and has restarted/extended the length of time that the debt will stay on my report.  Is this legal?
- When I pay off these debts, will my score go up immediately or gradually?
- Once the debts are paid off, I will only have a car loan and student loans that are in deferment.  How do I re-establish my credit history?
- I was told that I should get a secured credit card instead of the high-interest card that I would be eligible for.  Is this good advice?

Signed, NEED HELP!
Message 1 of 1
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.