Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I know the DOFD on a Collection?

tag
beanie7132
Frequent Contributor

How do I know the DOFD on a Collection?

Hi!

I have searched the forums for similar threads but did not have much luck.

How do I know the DOFD on a collection account if the OC isnt reporting?

I have 5 collection accounts (OUCH) as follows:

SCA Collections -  70.00

Rec Solutions - 252.00

EOS CCA -  722.00

George Brown Assoc -  112.00

CCS Collections -  366.00

3 of the above are medical collections, one is for ATT and the other is for Truvista Cable. None of the OCs show on my report so I cannot figure out the DOFD for any of them to tell if they are out of SOL and time frame of them falling off.

Also, how would I know if the CA owns the debt vs. them just trying to collect on it? I would pay each of these with PFD to OC, if possible. Just trying to understand my report a little better before moving foward.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: How do I know the DOFD on a Collection?

Where did you get your reports from?  EQ shows a DoFD, TU and EX have drop off dates.

If they are 3rd party reports they may not show all of the information.

No, there is no way to no just looking at their TL.

Message 2 of 7
beanie7132
Frequent Contributor

Its the EX report. For example this is one of them:

SCA Collections

Status - collection account

date opened: 2/08

reported since: 03/08

last reported: 03/08

Pmt Hx shows just one month, March 08 as collection.

There are no remarks at all.

Where I am stuck is..... is the date opened the DOFD, because that just cannot be right. A creditor (medical anyways) usually doesnt send items to collections until they have tried to collect for 3 or 4 months. I am almost sure this medical bill occured in October 2007.

Can I dispute this? Even if I just got results from disputing addresses? Should I wait a month or so to start disputing actual accounts on my reports?

Message 3 of 7
jayrock24
Regular Contributor

if you do a ex online dispute it will give you full detail as to when it will fall off and a number  and address thats how i found out mines

gardening tu fico 770 eq fico 735 ex fico 698 last app 2/27 chase freedom instant approval planing on gardening until my house search begins sometime in jun or july
Message 4 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

FCRA 623(a)(5) specifies the reporting requirements for a DOFD.

Any party, be they an OC or a debt collector, is required to report the DOFD on the OC account within 90 days of reporting any information related to either a collection or a charge-off.  If neither of those reportings have been made, a credit file does not have any required reporting of the DOFD. 

The requirement extends to both creditors and debt collectors to cover the eventuality referred to in the post, where an OC may not have reported on their account, but it is referred for collection, and the debt collector reports.  The CRA needs a reported DOFD to calculate the CR exclusion date.

The requirements on a debt collector are, in a nutshell:

1. If the OC has previously reported a DOFD, they must report that same date.  That makes it easy for a debt collector to comply, as they can get it without having to consult the OC

2. If the OC never reported, they are required to do some leg work.  They must make a good faith effort to contact the OC and get the OC on their account from them.

If the OC provides them a date, that is the date the debt collector must report.

3.  In the event the OC never reported and the debt collector has taken step 2 but was unable to get a DOFD from the OC, they are then permitted to estimate the DOFD.

However, they cannot report an estimated DOFD that is later than the date their received their collection authority.

If the consumer is unable to get the DOFD from any credit report, which often dont include that important info, then they can send a request to the CRA under FCRA 609(a)(1), which requires the CRA to provide any information of record in a consumer's credit file.  Secion 609(a)(1) requests must be accompanied by proof of identity and the current processing fee, which is $11.00.

Best to wait until 90 days after their reporting to ensure that they have reported the DOFD.

Message 5 of 7
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@beanie7132 wrote:

Hi!

I have searched the forums for similar threads but did not have much luck.

How do I know the DOFD on a collection account if the OC isnt reporting?

I have 5 collection accounts (OUCH) as follows:

SCA Collections -  70.00

Rec Solutions - 252.00

EOS CCA -  722.00

George Brown Assoc -  112.00

CCS Collections -  366.00

3 of the above are medical collections, one is for ATT and the other is for Truvista Cable. None of the OCs show on my report so I cannot figure out the DOFD for any of them to tell if they are out of SOL and time frame of them falling off.

Also, how would I know if the CA owns the debt vs. them just trying to collect on it? I would pay each of these with PFD to OC, if possible. Just trying to understand my report a little better before moving foward.

I sent you contact and information on how to handle that EOS-CCA account for the ATT debt.

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 6 of 7
beanie7132
Frequent Contributor

Thank you both robert and scott!

Jay - I cant count the number of times I have read to never dispute anything online except personal data.

I just diputed old addresses online and TU is the only one who removed anything. EX just moved them all around into a different order, and EQ didnt do anything at all.

Never will I do an online dispute again.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.