Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I play the 1-9% Utilization Game. Please Help

tag
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

Re: How do I play the 1-9% Utilization Game. Please Help

@Marcos8 wrote:

Since the statement cut date is usually a few days after the due date, why don't we just recommend paying XYZ by the due date? Seems easier...am I missing something?

You mean the due date only after you've paid before the closing date? If you pay before the due date, and a balance has reported, it will not be at 0% utilization even if you pay it in full at that time.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 11 of 32
Simply827
Established Contributor

@Marcos8 wrote:

Since the statement cut date is usually a few days after the due date, why don't we just recommend paying XYZ by the due date? Seems easier...am I missing something?

Sure, you can do that. But you also need to make sure you don't make any new charges that might post between the due date and the statement date.

Starting Score: 515
Current Score: EQ08 711 EX08 731 TU08 735
Goal Score: 740+

Amex BCP $25k | Discover IT $15.7k | Cap 1 QS $10k | PSECU $10k | Citi DC $9300 | Citi DP $6800 | Barclay Ring $6500 | PayPal Extras MC $5045 | DCU $5000 | Chase Slate $5000 | Barclays AA $4100 | Chase Freedom $4000 | Union Plus $1000 | Target $500
Message 12 of 32
Marcos8
Established Contributor

@Simply827 wrote:

@Marcos8 wrote:

Sure, you can do that. But you also need to make sure you don't make any new charges that might post between the due date and the statement date.

This is exactly what I do...pay whatever by the due date and then lay low for a few days until the next statement is generated.

Message 13 of 32
noobody
Established Contributor

deleted

EX819 1HP|TU797 1HP| EQ(Fico8 BankCard)841
Message 14 of 32
noobody
Established Contributor

Just want to confirm that 1-9% is against that particular credit card's credit line not the total available credit.

also does $1 reporting on 100K card still count as 1% because of the round UP?

and if you have US Bank's credit card, their reporting date is last day of the month, regardless the statement date or due date, so i just call them and move my statement date as close to end of month as possible for easier management.

Message 15 of 32
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@noobody wrote:

Just want to confirm that 1-9% is against that particular credit card's credit line not the total available credit.

and if you have US Bank's credit card, their reporting date is last day of the month, regardless the statement date or due date, so i just call them and move my statement date as close to end of month as possible for easier management.

Yes, it is 1-9% on that one card and the rounding up makes any balance equal 1% regardless of CL.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 16 of 32
nois
Regular Contributor

@noobody wrote:

$1 would only be 0.001% utilization on a card with a limt of $100K  1% would be $1,000.

FEB 2014 EQ: 798 EX: 780 TU: 798
Message 17 of 32
noobody
Established Contributor

@nois wrote:

@noobody wrote:

$1 would only be 0.001% utilization on a card with a limt of $100K  1% would be $1,000.

well, that is my point:

There is math and there is FICO math, 

Message 18 of 32
masscredit
Valued Contributor

@noobody wrote:

The 1-9% is against your total available credit. 

Has anyone played with this number to see what works best for them? 2% might not generate the best scores. I'm wondering if some have found that their scores jumped up a few points with 7-8% reporting and went down with less than 5. Of course this could be a YMMV thing. 

I've recently got into the mindset that I need to just have one card reporting, pay everything off before the due dates and have the lowest % reporting.  As my limits have been increasing, my % has been going lower and lower. Now I have to make a conscious attempt to not pay as much on that one card but make sure I pay it off before the statement that it reports on closes so I can avoid paying interest unless it has a 0% financing offer. 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 19 of 32
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

You want 1% - 9% usage on one card, of that one cards limit. The rest of the cards should report 0%.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 20 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.