Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I pre-screen opt-out?

tag
NYSuperdoodle
New Contributor

How do I pre-screen opt-out?

My score is improving better than planned, and I want to avoid coming on the radar for collectors. One of the posters on anther thread suggested I "pre-sreen opt-out." What does that mean and how do I do it?

April 1 2014 EQ-555 TU-545 EX- 545
April 29 2014 EQ -714 TU-579 EX- 698
May 1 2014 EQ 721, TU 707, EX 698
All tracked with USAA credit monitoring via Expedia
FICO Score June 10 2014 EQ 719
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: How do I pre-screen opt-out?

https://www.optoutprescreen.com/?rf=t

What it does is not allow CB's to give lender access to your name because you fit what they're looking for to make offers of credit to you

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 11
NYSuperdoodle
New Contributor

And that keeps collection agencies from initiating against me because they see my numbers going up? I was looking forward to getting some pre-screened approvals, but if it will protect my score increases, it's definitely worth it. I guess I'm not clear on why that would be a good idea regarding collection agencies...

Message 3 of 11
myjourney
Super Contributor

@NYSuperdoodle wrote:

And that keeps collection agencies from initiating against me because they see my numbers going up? I was looking forward to getting some pre-screened approvals, but if it will protect my score increases, it's definitely worth it. I guess I'm not clear on why that would be a good idea regarding collection agencies...

No it will not keep CA's at bay 

lets start over as you've got some bad info somewhere

Stand by for answers 

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 4 of 11
NYSuperdoodle
New Contributor

OK thanks much.....

Any lenders that I had any problems with are ages ago. One student loan company still runs an SP on me occasionally, but I don't know what they can do about it as that was so long ago. Medical stuff may pop up for me or my kids, but I'm pretty conscientious about that . And my ex-wife is still on my insurance. She loves to go to doctors and not pay copays and I get collection notices all the darn time about those, but I try to head those off early. Other than that, I'm not sure there's much out there that could pop up... but you never know

Message 5 of 11
myjourney
Super Contributor

Ok

CA's can still get your info because they have permissible purpose from the original lender 

Opting in or out has no bearing on scores whatsoever 

Some people think that CA's can't see your file if you opt out IMHO this is not true all they have to do if they wish is HP 

God forbid this is what they do but they certainly can 

Opting in or out is just to stop lenders from sending you offers in the mail weather it be CC's, Auto, Ins...etc 

all these are SP's 

Edit bad typing tonight Oooops 

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 6 of 11
myjourney
Super Contributor

@NYSuperdoodle wrote:

OK thanks much.....

Any lenders that I had any problems with are ages ago. One student loan company still runs an SP on me occasionally, but I don't know what they can do about it as that was so long ago. Medical stuff may pop up for me or my kids, but I'm pretty conscientious about that . And my ex-wife is still on my insurance. She loves to go to doctors and not pay copays and I get collection notices all the darn time about those, but I try to head those off early. Other than that, I'm not sure there's much out there that could pop up... but you never know

A federal student loan I believe has no expiration? Someone pls verify 

So you may see SP's from them but again if the loan was yours they maybe able to pull if they have no expiration 

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 7 of 11
NYSuperdoodle
New Contributor

Yeah but after the student loan has aged off for so long, they can't just toss it back on there can they?

Message 8 of 11
myjourney
Super Contributor

@NYSuperdoodle wrote:

Yeah but after the student loan has aged off for so long, they can't just toss it back on there can they?

Federal student loans are a totally different beast 

Ask that question in the student loan forum there's plenty of help there 

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 9 of 11
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

A debt collector cannot pull your CR under the pre-screening provision of FCRA 604(c).

Anyone obtaining your CR under that provision must certfy that it is the purpose of making the consumer a firm offfer for credit.

Opting out wont prevent a debt collector from pulling your credit report.  The have separate permissible purpose for collection on  a debt.

Government insured or guanranteed student loans have their own credit report exclusin periods, which are longer than the normal periods.

For details, check out the footnote under FCRA 605(a), which references the extension of those exclusion periods under the Higher Education Act.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.