cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I prove without any proof?!?!?!?!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How do I prove without any proof?!?!?!?!

I recently received a letter in the mail regarding a T-Mobile bill that I "never paid".  I have never been a subscriber to T-Mobile and tried to explain this to the woman I spoke to when I immediately called the 1-800 number on the letter.  She said that I have to prove that I didn't have an account with them.  How am I going to prove to them that I have never been with T-Mobile?  I don't have any letters from them saying "Thank you for continuing NOT having an account with us."  HELP!!!!!!
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

Re: How do I prove without any proof?!?!?!?!

Is this on any of your credit reports?  Burden of proof is on them not you, so don't call them again.

I would have to say though something sends out a red flag if this came to your name... did you have a wallet stolen or anyone close to you that might have stolen information?  
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

vickster wrote:
I recently received a letter in the mail regarding a T-Mobile bill that I "never paid".  I have never been a subscriber to T-Mobile and tried to explain this to the woman I spoke to when I immediately called the 1-800 number on the letter.  She said that I have to prove that I didn't have an account with them.  How am I going to prove to them that I have never been with T-Mobile?  I don't have any letters from them saying "Thank you for continuing NOT having an account with us."  HELP!!!!!!

Was this from a CA?

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for replying.  It is on at least one of my reports that I checked.  There was an original overdue amount, but then a reduced amount for me to pay to get it over with.  I considered paying the reduced amount, but then decided against it because of the possibility of ID theft.  This was in NYC...who knows what could have happened while living there.  My wallet was never stolen (at least I think so...I haven't gone through any of those "my wallet's been stolen" scenarios {knock on wood}).  All I know is that I have always been with ATT and whoever the merge of the month is with the company.

I am very concerned about this because I really am trying to get my ducks in a row with my credit and all and don't know what to do about this one.
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, it was from a  CA.  I moved out of NYC 3 years ago and didn't hear from anyone regarding it all my time there, so it was a complete surprise to get something in the mail about this.
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

vickster wrote:
Yes, it was from a  CA.

Send them a DV letter. Do NOT use the words "cease and desist" in your letter. Do send it CMRRR.

And don't call the CA. Nothing good will come of it.

Message Edited by Noah_Bodie on 07-04-2007 09:06 PM
Message 6 of 10
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

vickster no no don't pay it... follow Noah's directions. 

I stress though that this reeks of ID theft since the letter found you... I fear someone has your SSN.  Keep an eye on all 3 credit reports regularly and I would strongly consider reqesting a Fraud Alert on your files.  If it were me I'd be calling the cell company and speaking with their security department.  

I hope once this is fixed with the DV that it is the last of the situation... good luck!   Smiley Sad
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't even know what to say to the T-Mobile people about this.  OH!!!  I forgot...i went to the online site of the CA and they have a place for the control number to be entered....I entered it and there is nothing on record.  How can this be?  I don't understand how it can be on my CR but no record on their site! 

It really bothers me that these CA's have so much control on your lives, but there are limited avenues for US to dispute matters.  Are there any centers where you can go to a live person and discuss these issues one-on-one, instead of corresponding with paper and long ID numbers? 
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

vickster wrote:
Are there any centers where you can go to a live person and discuss these issues one-on-one, instead of corresponding with paper and long ID numbers? 

Yes. The U.S. District Court.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I recently had this same issue with Verizon and posted it in another thread a couple of days ago.  I talked with the fraud department and they deemed it wasn't fraud (how, they wouldn't divuldge).  I gave up and just disputed away with all the CRAs.  Additionally I recommend you contact your local police and have them file a report.  This gives you documentation that shows you are serious about the fraud allegation.

The good news for me - Verizon has no contract to provide and all the CRAs have updated and removed the collection.  I wish you the best that this happens for you.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.