Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I respond to this letter?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How do I respond to this letter?

Greetings,

I've been reading the forums the past few weeks and the things I have learned from the members here is absolutely amazing.

My husband and I just recently decided to buy our first house and when we had our credit reports pulled, were we ever shocked to see some things on our reports we had no idea were there.

In short, I have sent off Validation Requests, and disputes. I have a collection on my report from Allgate Financial, LLC for a debt owed to Cash Net USA for $1500. I have never heard of either of these companies and know with 100% certainty that this debt is not mine. I mailed a Validation Request to them a week ago, and received a package in the mail from them today basically asking me to validate that the debt is NOT mine.

They state that the letter is NOT an attempt to collect a debt, but they acknowledge my request for validation. The second paragraph reads:

"In order to supply you with the best possible information to accurately satisfy your needs, we require additional information on the nature of your dispute. Please check the appropriate boxes below that apply to your situation".

Then I am given the choices (I am the victim of identity theft, the account was paid prior, I dispute some or all of the charges, other....) I am a novice so please forgive my ignorance, but where do I go from here? I don't know that I was the victim of identity theft, this is the only thing on my credit report I am sure does not and never has belonged to me. Any suggestions/advice is greatly appreciated.

Message Edited by Atryxia on 03-10-2008 04:06 PM
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
ngerasimatos
Valued Contributor

Re: How do I respond to this letter?

My understanding is it THEIR responsibility to verify the debt, you do not need to provide them any information. I would send them their packet back with another debt validation letter.
Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value
Albert Einstein 1879 - 1955

800+ Club
Message 2 of 12
PayYouNever
Frequent Contributor

Can you list your options with more details?

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Put your name and address and information you KNOW matches the data they have-

Then put a x corner to corner - then write unknown accoss the line-
then SEND A COPY of the form- better yet- FAX it.

IMO-
"They state that the letter is NOT an attempt to collect a debt, but they acknowledge my request for validation." is a violation.

It is thier job to figure this out, not you (though you should investigate, look though addresses SSN variations, on your FACTA reports)

Atryxia wrote:
Greetings, I've been reading the forums the past few weeks and the things I have learned from the members here is absolutely amazing. My husband and I just recently decided to buy our first house and when we had our credit reports pulled, were we ever shocked to see some things on our reports we had no idea were there. In short, I have sent off Validation Requests, and disputes. I have a collection on my report from Allgate Financial, LLC for a debt owed to Cash Net USA for $1500. I have never heard of either of these companies and know with 100% certainty that this debt is not mine. I mailed a Validation Request to them a week ago, and received a package in the mail from them today basically asking me to validate that the debt is NOT mine. They state that the letter is NOT an attempt to collect a debt, but they acknowledge my request for validation. The second paragraph reads: "In order to supply you with the best possible information to accurately satisfy your needs, we require additional information on the nature of your dispute. Please check the appropriate boxes below that apply to your situation". Then I am given the choices (I am the victim of identity theft, the account was paid prior, I dispute some or all of the charges, other....) I am a novice so please forgive my ignorance, but where do I go from here? I don't know that I was the victim of identity theft, this is the only thing on my credit report I am sure does not and never has belonged to me. Any suggestions/advice is greatly appreciated.

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pay You Never,

Here is Allgate's response to my validation request verbatim...

This is NOT AN ATTEMPT to collect a debt; however this letter is to acknowledge that our office has received your request for validation on a CASH NET USA account under the XXXXXXXXX account number.

In order to supply you with the best possible information to accurately satisfy your needs, we require additional information on the nature of your disupte. Please check the appropriate boxes that apply to your situation:

1. I never had the account and am a victim of identity theft. (Please supply a copy of the attached FTC affidavit of fraud along with a photo copy of your driver's license or state picture ID card).

2. The account was paid prior. (Please provide proof the account was paid, if you do not have proof then we need to know when you paid, who you paid, the amount you paid and the method of payment).

3. I dispute some or all of the charges. (Please explain).

4. The product was defective therefore I refuse to pay.

5. My spouse was ordered to pay the bill through the divorce decree. (Please supply a copy of the divorce decree).

6. Other. (Please explain in detail on a separate sheet of paper. Please supply the necessary information to the address listed below within 30 days. Also, you may contact our office directly if you have any question.

Message Edited by Atryxia on 03-10-2008 03:37 PM

Message Edited by Atryxia on 03-10-2008 04:06 PM
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any additional help on this is appreciated. I'd like to get my response out to them tomorrow if possible. Should I just send their packet back along with a note stating that it is indeed my name and address, but the account does NOT belong to me and never has?
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would take Timothy advice. It is not your obligation to provide them with any information to help them validate the debt. If they can not fully validate the debt they must remove it from your rpts. Also they can not report the debt again to the credit bureaus or take any other action to collect until they validate the debt.
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a similar situaion, do you have an address i can send a dv?
Message 8 of 12
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:
Any additional help on this is appreciated. I'd like to get my response out to them tomorrow if possible. Should I just send their packet back along with a note stating that it is indeed my name and address, but the account does NOT belong to me and never has?

IMO, they are fishing to get additional identification on you in order to make their job even easier.

Go with Timothy's advice. This CA is already trying to con you.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

What mailing address do you have for Allgate Financail because on my credit report it seems incomplete.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.