cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I set up a fraud alert for all three credit bureaus?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How do I set up a fraud alert for all three credit bureaus?

How do I set up a fraud alert for all three credit bureaus?  Someone had called my wife about consolidating her student loan, they asked for a whole lot of personal information and she gave them her social security number, etc.  After talking to me about it she became suspicious of this person being an identity theft predator.  How can she protect herself?  Is there a phone number dedicated to setting up fraud alerts with transunion, equifax & experian?

Thanks,

AO

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How do I set up a fraud alert for all three credit bureaus?

It's real easy....  Just go online to their websites.. You should only have to do one and they will tell the others but to be sure do it yourself.

This link would be better

experian.com
equifax.com
transunion.com

and do it NOW Smiley Happy

Message Edited by htc on 04-20-2007 02:41 PM

Message Edited by htc on 04-20-2007 02:44 PM
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks!
AO
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yikes.  Yes, if you call one credit bureau they are supposed to notify the other two.  But why trust them to do it?  Call all 3 yourself.  Just takes 3 phone calls.  While you're at it, ask them if a credit freeze is available in your state.  This prevents anyone (including you) from opening any credit in your name without jumping thru a lot more hoops than just the fraud alert.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.